GPU Overheats

Your 5v rail is way out of spec and your 3.3v is lower than I'd like. I'd bet your 12v rail is dropping down to the mid-11s and causing problems based on that 5v reading (which all by itself could cause real issues).

Do you have a multimeter to check the 12v rail?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a good way to measure it's hard to say. Updating your BIOS to the latest may expose more onboard sensors.

Last time I had random crashes and weirdness it was a busted PSU that was falling below spec on the 5v and 12v rails.

What conclusion are you coming too; PSU ?

I'll update the BIOS, last time I tried things went bad.  Nothing more besides updating the BIOS can I try. When copying files to a NAS just one a few issues I'm only facing. There isn't enough power or the PSU is slightly over heating and causing the computer to become unstable ?

Rather, the issue appear visually therefore not enough power is getting to the GPU causing unstable issues such as graphical glitches within Windows etc; or both of the issues mentioned ?

Where are you seeing 5v in the screen shots I posted ?

Edited by WhiteBear

There is only one BIOS update although not from my motherboard manufacturer as they don't make motherboard no longer; I suppose as long as the chipset is the same ?

What is causing this problem; I'd like hopefully know an answer within the next three days ? I can rule out GPU so the only two things are:

RAM or PSU ?

My guess is PSU.

Edited by WhiteBear

If you think it may be ram did you run memtest86 on the pc, it might help in checking out memory problems.

Or you could pull out 1 stick and see if the problem goes away . If it still dose it try the other stick and see what happens.The only sure way tocheck a power supply is with a multymeter or switch the psu out with a known good one.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Do not update your BIOS unless it's specifically a BIOS from the manufacturer.  Regardless of chipset, each board has unique hardware.  That would be the quickest way to bricking your motherboard.  Bad move.

It says in your screenshots "+5v" and then it's below 4.5v... which is way outside the bounds of 5% limit (4.75v).  Even at 4.75v that would still be a little low.  Hard drives do typically use both the 12v and 5v rail so if your 12v is out of spec just as much then it's probably the PSU.  Either way, that PSU needs to be replaced, it's gone bad.

No one on this site can say 100% it's your psu, none of us are in the room with your pc doing our own tests, what you and the software your using is pointing to a faulty psu, the best we can do is give advice and make suggestions, BUT, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck you cab bet your paycheck it's a duck. I hope it works out for you !