GPU Overheats

I never updated; I put in a brand new 850watt PSU.  I also did MemTest x86 and Windows Memory Diagnostics both came out error free; unfortunately the computer still resets at random, in other words; it can run for five hours straight but if I begin to do something as in copy a large file or do a system backup that is where it will lock up; or sometimes it decides to reset on it's own.

I've come to a conclusion; the motherboard ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never updated; I put in a brand new 850watt PSU.  I also did MemTest x86 and Windows Memory Diagnostics both came out error free; unfortunately the computer still resets at random, in other words; it can run for five hours straight but if I begin to do something as in copy a large file or do a system backup that is where it will lock up; or sometimes it decides to reset on it's own.

I've come to a conclusion; the motherboard ?

It could also be your hd is faulty, seems most of your problems are when you transfer files between drives, dl (hard drive tune) and see what it shows you . I'm not saying it's not your cpu or mb as they were running hot for a while but it won't cost anything to test the hd, and on the pro side of it you can use the new parts when you decide to upgrade.

I ran hard drive tune. 

Error Scan (tab) came back perfect but the Health (tab) came back with this error;

(C7) Interface CRC Error Count 99 99 9 11 - attention

Description: Number of interface communication errors 11

Status: There were communication errors. This may be caused by a damaged cable.

Is it possible that the randomly resetting or when running a browser for a long time or copying a large file from one drive to another etc etc is because of a bad HDD / SATA cable ?

Edited by WhiteBear

I ran hard drive tune. 

Error Scan (tab) came back perfect but the Health (tab) came back with this error;

(C7) Interface CRC Error Count 99 99 9 11 - attention

Description: Number of interface communication errors 11

Status: There were communication errors. This may be caused by a damaged cable.

Is it possible that the randomly resetting or when running a browser for a long time or copying a large file from one drive to another etc etc is because of a bad HDD / SATA cable ?

If you have another cable around it would be worth a shot to try it, even if you took the one from your cd drive.

• 5 weeks later...

This probably is the final diagnostics on this problem. Check out the caps to the left on this image, from what I see they are leaking which only means one thing, after testing RAM,HDD\SSD,GPU Temps the only problem is the motherboard.

Blown_Caps.jpg

Those caps are swollen for sure, they can be replaced, caps are cheap, but ?, it's an old system so what will go next . If you wanted to I'm sure you could find a used mb on ebay ,but !!!, would you just be buying more problems. Maybe time to upgrade cpu, ram and mb and use all your other parts to build a new system. :dunno:

It is an old system, I want to strictly extend it's life a little while longer, at most.  What do you recommend strictly replacing the caps or getting a replacement board what I found for around $65.00 ? And is it difficult to replace the caps ?

The verdict is the motherboard :(:)

Edited by WhiteBear

If you are handy with a solder gun cap replacement is easy and the caps are about $2 bucks a piece, but if you can get a used working mb that works good it might be the way to go.Just get the seller to send you some good pics of it so you can look at all the caps to make sure they are all in good shape. Swollen caps are as bad as leaking ones.