What Are Your "HONEST" Opinions On Windows 10?

Rokkaholik

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a week trying to get my drivers to work, got fed up, went back to 7.

Eh, I'll wait for 11. Or 12. Whatever.

Windows 10 is the last version.  MS is switching to a "service" model, from now on changes will be in the form of updates on the base OS which won't ever require a new license.  In the short term make sure you don't have updates set to automatic because MS will surely try to slip 10 in on you as an "update". 

As far as drivers go, the theory is that Win 10 comes with all of the drivers you need.  Of course in practice this isn't the case with much of the older hardware out there.  But even the most non compliant hardware will run 10, there are usually only one or two driver issues (usually graphics) which almost always have a workaround if you Google for answers.  Sometimes a Win 8 driver will work, and I've had drivers work that hadn't been updated since XP. The only thing I've run across that I couldn't solve is that my Canon printer isn't fully functional with 10 supplied drivers, and Canon doesn't make drivers in that model for Win 10.  :(

Edited by Phil

I spent a week trying to get my drivers to work, got fed up, went back to 7.

Eh, I'll wait for 11. Or 12. Whatever.

Windows 10 is the last version.  MS is switching to a "service" model, from now on changes will be in the form of updates on the base OS which won't ever require a new license.  In the short term make sure you don't have updates set to automatic because MS will surely try to slip 10 in on you as an "update". 

As far as drivers go, the theory is that Win 10 comes with all of the drivers you need.  Of course in practice this isn't the case with much of the older hardware out there.  But even the most non compliant hardware will run 10, there are usually only one or two driver issues (usually graphics) which almost always have a workaround if you Google for answers.  Sometimes a Win 8 driver will work, and I've had drivers work that hadn't been updated since XP. The only thing I've run across that I couldn't solve is that my Canon printer isn't fully functional with 10 supplied drivers, and Canon doesn't make drivers in that model for Win 10.  :(

I've run into that with some HP printers before, where HP stopped supporting the printers around the time when 7 arrived and none of the drivers worked on 10. You could still use the printers, but any advanced functions were a no go. Easy enough to replace them, but multiple ones in a school aren't always high on the priority list.

So about 3 weeks ago I went to make lunch and my computer decided to upgrade while I was eating a sandwich. I basically call that OS rape.

Still, despite all that I've so far been pretty happy with 10s performance. No major issues, just a handful of minor ones I fixed in about 30 total minutes of work. Speed tests and anecdotes tell me my PC has never run faster or better.

It isn't perfect, there's some things I don't like about it / haven't been able to / haven't taken the time to customize. My Quicklaunch area needs to be reconfigured. I'm not a fan of the way certain folders are laid out in Explorer.

All in all, compared to the debacle that would have been upgrading from 7 to 8 or ... like.. win 98 to ME... I consider this one of MS's best outings. A pleasant surprise play-rape as opposed to the met on Craigslist kind.

The worst thing about 10, even on pro, is FORCED reboots within a certain amount of time for security updates. The second worst thing is that it will sometimes install drivers when you're using your computer...this sucks if you're mid-game or movie and your sound cuts out (and requires a reboot to fix).

Works flawlessly for me on two systems at home and one system at work.  Very fast, no crashes, increased performance in games and the interface is very nice.  Much better than 8,8.1 but about equal to 7 IMO.  Have to move forward with the time.  There is no way MS is going to let Windows 7 stick around as long as XP did.

I tried  changing my main PC to W10 not long after it was available but, the upgrade process broke my bootloader and renamed all my drives. After that incident, I decided to repair my previous installation and stick with W7. When I upgrade my PC, I may decide to switch to W10.

I tried  changing my main PC to W10 not long after it was available but, the upgrade process broke my bootloader and renamed all my drives. After that incident, I decided to repair my previous installation and stick with W7. When I upgrade my PC, I may decide to switch to W10.

The update process is improved since the Nov. 2015 update.

I have done both the "upgrade" and the clean install and I can say that the CLEAN install is the way to go. Go to the MS website and it'll allow you to download either a USB or ISO version and install from there and then activate using your current Windows 7/8/8.1 key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Windows 8 and 8.1 OEM computers don't have the COA stickers on them, but you can find the 5x5 COA hidden within Windows using a program called Show Key Plus

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowkeyPlus/ShowKeyPlus.zip

I have done both the "upgrade" and the clean install and I can say that the CLEAN install is the way to go. Go to the MS website and it'll allow you to download either a USB or ISO version and install from there and then activate using your current Windows 7/8/8.1 key.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Windows 8 and 8.1 OEM computers don't have the COA stickers on them, but you can find the 5x5 COA hidden within Windows using a program called Show Key Plus

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowkeyPlus/ShowKeyPlus.zip

In theory, after the 1511 update, you should be able to update or clean install without entering a key with digital entitlement.  I skip entering the key during install and if you had an activated Win 7 and above it usually just activates.

• 3 weeks later...

Since introduction of Windows 8 everything seems to simple yet so complicated. Advanced (not so) options like network configuration is like so hidden... I prefer Windows 7.

Is like the 8 and 10 are for Tablets, Smart TV because the "MENU" is just.... I need a desktop with icons not that cellphone oriented menu...