The Beast Begins!

F13Bubba

I more meant THIS new toy:

FROSTFLOW 240L Red Comet LED Lighting Water Cooler x2 - Phil69, F13Bubba

I didn't even realize I'd won! I'm still a little sketched out about a liquid solution, as I can't afford to replace any of this in the event of a leak. Also, the 2011 cpu's don't come with a stock cooler, so I'd have to wait to play with my new computer, and the parts are getting here thursday!!!

Edited by F13Bubba

THE BUILD BEGINS!!!!

I got 2 lovely packages on my doorstep this afternoon, filled with GOODIES!!!

20160324_183308%201_zpsfthf0htk.jpg

Unfortunately, due to my school schedule, I was only able to get the mobo, cpu, ram, and PSU in tonight. Tomorrow, I'll get everything else installed :D

Question: I was considering an AIO water cooler solution, but after some research, my paranoia about it leaking and destroying this beautiful card I can't afford to replace combined with the fact that I don't intend to OC the cpu makes me lean toward an air cooler. Considering the size and weight of this cooler, I'm looking to buy something else. I've always been happy with my 212+, but I'm open to any suggestions.

I have had a h100i now for 3 years with no leaks or any issues and it still cools like a beast! Congrats on your new beast too

Temp_zps2oiwuhhl.jpg

edit: also this was with it set to quiet mode  :D

Edited by MadMan

Welp, the parts are here, and there's no time like the present, so let's get into this build!!!

It's been a few years....or 8 since I built my current PC, so I hope I remember how this goes. 

After getting the mobo in....and then taking it out to put the I/O shield in, I successfully read the instructions, and gingerly as hell placed this beautiful processor (that costs more than my first build....) into it's socket.

Mobo%20and%20CPU_zpskuaxqeen.jpg

You can't see it in that pic, but I also mounted the PSU... in the most difficult way possible. Ah, the joys of nothing coming with the manual.... 

Now to put on this MASSIVE cooler. Guys.... this thing weighs 3 pounds, has 8 heatpipes, and barely clears my RAM. I've seen children with smaller heads than this thing.

After some adjusting to get it oriented correctly, it fits. It even clears the GPU!

Cooler%20and%20card_zpss8hpfnii.jpg

Gotta love that 970!

Time to wire it up! This case has tons of features to aid in cable routing, which facilitated a pretty cable mess free case, in my opinion. It also had 2 different options for mounting the SSD's that I got with it, and I opted to put them behind the mobo tray, to keep the inside of the case cleaner. After wiring it all up, it was time to see if she would boot!

SHe%20LIVES_zpsqilam2yh.jpg

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

And she looks pretty damn good to me!

Breathing%20red_zpsatv6siuc.jpg

20160325_191338_zpsw1ccidha.jpg

I tried to set the SSDs to run in RAID 0, but something must be wrong with the RAID controller in this board, because windows refused to install to it. 4 HOURS LATER, and at least 15 different solutions attempted, I gave up and decided to run them individually. Windows wouldn't even let me install with the controller in RAID mode, so I switched to AHCI and finally got windows setup running.

Ten minutes later, it was installed! Seriously, it went stupid fast with these SSD's.

After getting most opf my programs up and running, it was time to see how the temps were doing.

Temps_zpsolzzmq9f.png

I was running 10 tabs, and and switching between 6 other programs. Not too shabby. And this cooler is whisper quiet, it's excellent, especially when it comes time for my recording work.

Anyway, she be done! I've gone from having an i5-750 and a gtx 460 to having this beast, and it's NICE! Gotta love pure dumb luck!

Edited by F13Bubba