@AkakmanH, Thanks for watching and commenting, and me too, I need to update my personal rig!

@xenkw0n, these have been suggested to me for few years, in response to the plastic version breaking easily.

Instead of using Vinyl masking, you can use BLUE painters tape from Home depot or LOWES etc... Cure time depends on type of paint used, if you use the engine enamel, I'd wait 12 hours before peeling it off.  

My advice is EXPERIMENT making stripes on scrap metal first, so you get feel for the steps, before painting your case.

@AkakmanH, Thanks for watching and commenting, and me too, I need to update my personal rig!

@xenkw0n, these have been suggested to me for few years, in response to the plastic version breaking easily.

Instead of using Vinyl masking, you can use BLUE painters tape from Home depot or LOWES etc... Cure time depends on type of paint used, if you use the engine enamel, I'd wait 12 hours before peeling it off.  

My advice is EXPERIMENT making stripes on scrap metal first, so you get feel for the steps, before painting your case.

Yep I ended up buying some of the 3M blue painters tape from home depot a week ago.  I ordered Rustoleum Engine Enamel paint since I heard some decent reviews about it.  Better than Krylon but a step below some of the more expensive stuff.  A decent middle ground and I plan on using a clear coat on top of everything else so it should work out well.

The only thing I have to double-check with you on is when to peel off the tape.  I heard a lot of people say a few minutes after painting so that it doesn't dry over the tape and peel some of the paint with it when it's removed.  If there's a reason the engine enamel paint is different then I'll try after waiting longer.  I will definitely give it a try on some scrap metal first though since I've never done this at all.

Edited by xenkw0n

just ask her if she has any more cases avail? 

SEINFELD VOICE: "Who arrrre these people?" 

I've never used Rustoleum's Engine Enamel, but you wait until paint is dry, then peel off masking. To prevent the paint from peeling off with the tape, you pull the tape back, against itself..

CycloShots022.jpg

I haven't heard a response back about if there were any more available.  I'll follow-up tomorrow and let her know I received the case and if they have any more.  Received mine today and it's brand new.  Will be using the side panels from this one and I'll put my other ones on the new case - Plan on building a computer to run an arcade box and since it will be enclosed within an arcade unit it doesn't matter if the case is maroon with blue side-panels  :teehee:

About the paint you did, how did you not get any on the tape - or is that just a clear-coat so I'm not seeing it?  I always thought if I pulled off the tape after it dried that it would cause more issues with cracking/peeling.

Edited by xenkw0n

They still have Yellow, Red and Green available. I'm assuming the green is the same lime-green you got, the red is a kind of maroon color like the one I got and I haven't actually seen one of these in yellow before so idk.

I LOVE that GREEN, and it's Ok if you paint over the tape a little bit, just peel it slowly, back upon itself.

I just finished making 24,16,14,12,8,6 and 4-pin billet cable combs last night,

Edited by mnpctech
  • Like 1

Friend of mine uses that waterblock and it really gets the job done.  Nice choice.

Does the mnpctech website sell any colored 1/8" aluminum pop-rivets?  Do you have any other suggestions for re-assembling the case in the areas that are seen besides using rivets?

Edited by xenkw0n

Black, Silver and Copper, here is video guide I created for pop riveting your chassis

Finished painting the video card waterblocks, bridges, and backplates with Porsche 917 GULF Racing Factory Blue Paint.

Dismantled GTX 980 Koolance Waterblocks

koolance-video-card-waterblock-GTX-980-1

Basecoat Primer on Koolance GTX 980 waterblock

Basecoat Primer on Koolance GTX 980 waterblock Bridge

Porsche 917 GULF Racing Factory Blue Paint

gulf-porsche-917-blue-paint-code-PPG.jpg

Koolance GTX 980 waterblocks with Porsche 917 GULF Racing Factory Blue Paint

• Like 1

They look very clean.  Going to be a gorgeous build.

I'm about to purchase some 1/8 diameter rivets with a grip range of 1/8 to 1/4 but I'm pretty sure the pieces I have would be just short of 1/8 in width.  Would this mean the rivets just won't work or would they still pinch up even further to provide a strong hold?  Trouble is I can't find any red rivets with a shorter grip range.  If they won't work I'll end up buying bare aluminum/metallic rivets.  Don't want the white or black to conflict with the white and black most of my case will be covered with.