Annual OCC Contest Thread

bp9801

I would suggest reading the first post on how to enter :) I could tell you....but...you have to put some effort into this lol.

You misunderstand me. I know how to enter, I'm just not entirely sure what the contest is awarding prizes by. If all it takes is to enter and make sure that all of the blanks are properly filled to potentially win a prize, with no other considerations, then I get that. I'm just wondering if there's something I missed.

Edited by the11ama

I would suggest reading the first post on how to enter :) I could tell you....but...you have to put some effort into this lol.

You misunderstand me. I know how to enter, I'm just not entirely sure what the contest is awarding prizes by. If all it takes is to enter and make sure that all of the blanks are properly filled to potentially win a prize, with no other considerations, then I get that. I'm just wondering if there's something I missed.

It's a random drawing done by a script, so long as you've hit all the requirements to enter and your entry isn't disqualified. You might win a piece of hardware or a game, or you might not, just depends on the prizes, entries, and where you fall when the prizes are drawn.

ah my fault :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Is each hard drive a prize or will the 4 be a lot prize?

Separate, so the four 4TB hard drives will go to four different people. Anything that's more than one will go to multiple people, except for the game bundles.

It's a random drawing done by a script, so long as you've hit all the requirements to enter and your entry isn't disqualified. You might win a piece of hardware or a game, or you might not, just depends on the prizes, entries, and where you fall when the prizes are drawn.

That's a simple way of doing it and there can be no complaint about the result, but I know that I'm going to decline most of the prizes. Some way of matching prizes to systems and upgrade desires would have likely ended with more people being happy. (Though of course would have complicated things considerably on OCC's side.)

That's a simple way of doing it and there can be no complaint about the result, but I know that I'm going to decline most of the prizes. Some way of matching prizes to systems and upgrade desires would have likely ended with more people being happy. (Though of course would have complicated things considerably on OCC's side.)

The only way is to make it random. Why Decline the prizes? You can re-gift them to someone you know to improve a friends day! 

The only way is to make it random. Why Decline the prizes? You can re-gift them to someone you know to improve a friends day!

It's not "the only way". It's one way that's simple, and it doesn't result in the best distribution of prizes.

As for declining prizes, there are a lot more hardware enthusiasts here than I know in real life (I know one IRL), so why not make the prize available to the community?

Edit: As an example of a better way to distribute prizes, each entrant chooses three prizes with priorities 1-3. When choosing the prizes, first those who chose them at number 1 are randomly selected (so if someone chose a prize at priority 1 that nobody else wants, they will get it), then those who remain participate in priority 2 choices, then 3, then the rest of the prizes are given randomly.

Edited by ET3D

It's not "the only way". It's one way that's simple, and it doesn't result in the best distribution of prizes.

As for declining prizes, there are a lot more hardware enthusiasts here than I know in real life (I know one IRL), so why not make the prize available to the community?

Edit: As an example of a better way to distribute prizes, each entrant chooses three prizes with priorities 1-3. When choosing the prizes, first those who chose them at number 1 are randomly selected (so if someone chose a prize at priority 1 that nobody else wants, they will get it), then those who remain participate in priority 2 choices, then 3, then the rest of the prizes are given randomly.

No one is forcing you to enter.

The best distribution of prizes is the one that's easy to manage.  If you win something you don't want, feel free to re-gift it or sell it on OCC!

Thats my plan, if I happen to win something I can't use...my daughter has  a few friends that are all looking to build their own PCs so one of them would surely appreciate it.  :)

Honestly they are all good stuff and you stand nothing to loose. Either way it can all be useful. 3 years ago I got a Coolink 120MM Fan. Moved, Joined the navy. My parents moved and I found it and put it to use. Still to this day. 

Another year I got a 25 Gram tube of MX-3 Paste and that lasted me YEARS of constantly reapplying paste to laptops, GPUs, CPUs the works. Either way, I'm grateful for anything I get. I like it so much I donated a practically brand new motherboard. I have a full watercooled rig and its a pretty nice setup. I get a heatsink? Cool! I get to review a new product, maybe modd the hell out of it or put it to use in one of my modded rigs so I don't have to move my setup into it to take photos and do a video.