$1400 Mod ?

OK who here thinks a $1400 cdn case mod is insane ? I got my quote back from the show chrome shop today. And that is the pricetag to chrome my case. Every single little piece will be chromed. Every piece will literally be like looking in a mirror.

So what do you think ?

in a year or so you will be wanting to upgrade your system and might have to go with the BTX platform which is already in the works, ATX might not be an option, and BTX requires a different case and all

so i think it would be a huge waste of money, but i am sure it would look nice though :)

not a big fan of chrome personally. so no way would i spend that kind of money. but if thats what _you_ want and _you_ have the money...then nothing should stop you. its not my case or anyone elses.

Well that is $1,078 US, which seems a little heavy. Then again, it is a custom job which will require them to strip any paint that is already on the case and have it primed to get the chrome on, and protective finish. That is besides the fact that it will take ALOT of chrome to cover an entire PC case inside and out. Do you know how thick the layer will be when it's done?

I won't say you are getting ripped off for what they are doing for you, but I will say that I wouldn't burn that much cash just to get a case that will absorb fingerprints like a magnet that you can comb your hair in. $1,078 US can be spent much more wisely...Athlon 64 system maybe?

i like chrome. but 1400 cdn is a bad idea. waste of money. you might as well invest it into upgrades...maybe chrome paint?

edit. or chrome spray paint? and if you wnat mirror.. why dont you just use mirrors? its origonal!. i thin?k

Edited by roadkill

Personally I would just buy a new system, seeing that yours is a tad "retro" (no offense). You could pick up a decent XP system for that price. But if you have the money and you really really really (really really :P) want to chrome your case, what the heck. :D

Although I agree that chrome would look awesome (I'm a huge fan of shiny things myself), I also agree that the 1400 could be put to better use.

Then again, what if you did some prep work yourself? Stripping/sandblasting, etc?

This case will be housing a socket 939 system, I am just waiting for it to come out. Interesting point about the BTX. But this socket 939 system should last for awhile so i am not to concerned about that.

The reason it is so expensive is because of the type of chroming they are doing. Just a normal chrome job would be $400 that is the type of chrome that is on you run of the mill car. Than there is the polish and chrome which gives you a smoother finish, that would run me $800. Then there is the showchrome, which is exactly what the name implies. This is what you see on show vehicles. First everything is dipped in acid to clean it. Then every piece is handpolished. Then it goes into the nickel tank.Then to the copper tank where it gets a coat of copper to fill in any little imperfections. Than it is hand polished again. Then it goes to the chrome tank. When it comes out they check it and if its not perfect they hand polish it again and put it back in the tank. This is the $1400 one. There was a lot of individual pieces I had to drill out every rivet and completely dissasemble the case because the rivets were aluminum and they can't go into the acid tank.

Cool that you guys are open minded. :D

This case will be housing a socket 939 system

Now that's the kind of system that would be worthy of a mod like this.

Did you try other chrome shops? Maybe someone else would do it for 1200? Worth a look anyway.