headphones recommendation

alexscott

I'd look at some by Beyderdynamic (like the DT 770 PRO 32 ohm), Sennheiser (HD 558 or HD 380 PRO), Ultrasone (HFI 580/780 or Performance 820), AKG (K 272 HD), and Audio Technica (ATH-AD700X or ATH-A700X).

I'm going to be getting the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 600 ohm soon. I hear they are great 300$ though. Will be my first pair of earphones in that price range.

If you're still looking, I'd suggest waiting awhile long. PC Gamer is doing a big write up of 50+ headphones for gaming. I've come to the conclusion headphones recommended for music aren't really what you're looking for in terms of a gaming headphone. I've played FPS games with people just using the traditional PC hardware company branded headphones and they clearly can hear things that I can't. Honestly, that really depends on how competitive you are and whether you're deaf or not :P

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-we-tested-over-56-headsets-and-headphones-with-precision/

Side Note: I'll probably re-post my for sale thread of all my audio gear I need to get rid of later. Includes DT 990 600 Ohm 

Edited by WhenKittensATK

If you're still looking, I'd suggest waiting awhile long. PC Gamer is doing a big write up of 50+ headphones for gaming. I've come to the conclusion headphones recommended for music aren't really what you're looking for in terms of a gaming headphone. I've played FPS games with people just using the traditional PC hardware company branded headphones and they clearly can hear things that I can't. Honestly, that really depends on how competitive you are and whether you're deaf or not :P

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-we-tested-over-56-headsets-and-headphones-with-precision/

Side Note: I'll probably re-post my for sale thread of all my audio gear I need to get rid of later. Includes DT 990 600 Ohm 

So you have the 990's? Are they really as good as they say they are?

I'm not the best person to describe music / equipment. Its either it sounds right or it doesn't. There wasn't anything that I disliked about the DT 990s, but at the same time nothing really stood out for me. I mean I already own far too many headphones as it is, it just gets too that point where its hard to really notice a difference until you drop down to something in the entry level range. The environment and your mood can really effect your listening experience too, at least it does for me.

Keeping: HE500, HD600, LCD-2

Selling: DT 1350, DT990, M100, NFB 15.32 (semi-broken), Monoprice 5" Speakers

Update: Now that I think about it, the fit of the DT990 where too loose and didn't really fit my head right. I got a big head and DT990 had no clamping force. My head is crushed by the Hifimans and LCD-2 on max extensions. HD600 is a perfect fit.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

I'd prefer the HD600. They're very comfortable, reasonably priced, build quality is good, interchangeable cables. and I honestly see no reason to ever go back to closed headphones unless its a portable situation. If you wanted to spend less than $300, I'd say either of these will do well HD600/HD650/HE400S for pure music listening. For movies/games, you may want to look elsewhere.