Apple's war with the FBI

Bellona

As far as leaving a back door that would be off limits but supplying the Apple ID and passcode is something they should do.

That's something they don't have. The passcode is encrypted on the phone. The only thing Apple has would be the Apple ID password, which is not the same thing. And Apple already provided the FBI with everything it had.

Exactly. Apple couldn't unlock *this* phone even if they wanted to.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never trust the government. Their interests are at odds with the people.

Obviously Apple issued this public statement to garner support for their position and I for one am with Apple on this one.

Edited by PremiumAcc

Apple can do much more than they let on. They have their lemmings fooled into believing everything they say. 

Don't get me wrong... I don't think Apple is benevolent. But of the two evils, I think Apple cannot f*** us over as badly as the government can.  

Apple can do much more than they let on. They have their lemmings fooled into believing everything they say.

No, they honestly can't. The UID of the chip is not stored by them (or anyone) and is irretrievable from the chips by design, short of insanely drastic measures. Without the UID, they can't even attempt an offline decryption by brute force (which would also take a very very very long time).

Unless they know of a bug to exploit they can't do anything.

Getting interisting now, today Apple filed motion to vacate FBI request to hack phone, http://www.techinsider.io/apple-vacate-request-shooter-iphone-2016-2

Microsoft will join Apple against the FBI and U.S. Justice Department,.. by filing a friend-of-court-or amicus-brief in a case going to court on 2/26/2016. http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-supports-apple-iphone-encryption-2016-2 also Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter are planning to file legal briefs in court to support Apple in the coming days.

Edited by Braegnok