CPU Red LED Came On

Its been a slow process of moving things around. The other day I took the motherboard out of the case and put it into another. Without removing the CPU. Now all I get is a Red LED saying something is wrong with the CPU. exactly the same components, just moved to another case. I checked the 24pin and 8pin ESP cable. 

The only thing I can think of at this point is the motherboard. I don't see how the CPU could be damaged or even move in the socket when it's locked down. So no bent pins can be involved.

It's a little premature but I don't think swapping power supplies will make a difference. I'll also give the CPU a reset but I also don't see that being the problem.

Any ideas or something I haven't thought of? The motherboard won't post, just sits with 00 Code and the CPU led on.

It's late and I bet it's something really dumb I forgot to do.

Had the same thing happen to me when I swapped my new Asus Z170i into the new case.

Went through all the usual troubleshooting. Pulled video card. No dice. Pulled all ram. It boots. Plugged ram back in 1 stick at a time... No dice. Ended up taking the processor out, blowing compressed air across the socket, and giving the pads a quick whipe down. Rebuilt everything and it worked. Seems like the new sockets are a little finicky to physical movement?

Ugh. So I swapped boards and used all the same parts expect that mb/cpu and it boots right up no problem.

Reseated the cpu. Still no go. Next step is to put that cpu in the other board. My guess it will boot.right up which leave me with a motherboard issue.

Bad luck continues. I swapped video cards in another computer and it's doing the same thing. Won't post. Completely different parts. I know everything is good because I've tested it. Rebuilt the computer and still no go. Now all left to is put the cpu in a different board and see if it posts.

It was working right before I shut it down to switch video cards..

That would if so that would be two boards down in 24hrs.

Another update. I swapped motherboards and to my surprise (honestly) The CPU came up with the same error on the other Asus X79. Won't post and gives 00 Code with the CPU LED error light. I guess the chip is bad :/. Swapped back to the Xeon and it boots fine..

3 year warranty isn't long enough...

I'm also scared the other motherboard is what killed the chip so I don't even want to test it with another CPU.

Edit: confirmed two dead chips RIP 3930k and G3258. That is just extremely bad luck for one day. I decided not to try the motherboards and just straight up RMA them. Rather safe than sorry. No bent pins I can spot. If it gets rejected than whatever.... I'm done with these.

probably not then, unless the first one caused the damage... I've had PSU"s go out and take several components out with it... 

could also be something was shorting with the new case and caused the damage, it's really hard to say. Or it could just be one of those off things that was working until it got moved around...