First new build since the c2q

whitefiretiger

OCC contest. Should be starting pretty soon, actually.

Well that sucks about that NZXT case. Wondered if some were that way. The Corsair Graphite 230T should do the trick, and potentially the upcoming SPEC-ALPHA.

Thanks i subscribed to the contest thread.

The 230t with window is nice. Not sure on the other one think the point may hang off my desk lol.

Is this the NZXT case you were looking at? NZXT Source 210

Because I was just about to post that as a suggestion to you lol.

This case looks feature rich for $55 (on sale) and its 8.5" wide - Thermaltake Versa N21

Think i overlooked that nxzt because in it looks like a cheap factory case but it does have good features for the price.

That tt is on my list of candidates. Thanks.

No problem, good luck on the build!   Great price on that build!

Thanks again.

Lol a friend of mine said "I hate you some days; how did you build a computer almost identical to mine for that little? I have 6 times that much into mine."

I told him patients and beind willing to buy used parts. (my only new part is the ram kit that i got on sale plus rebait ended up at $20.)

Edited by whitefiretiger

I hate to be the debbie downer of the group but what C2Q did you have?? I have a feeling it could have performed pretty closely to that 6000 series FX if it was overclocked out well. (unless it was an older, non-G0 Q6600 or something that didn't OC well)

I hate to be the debbie downer of the group but what C2Q did you have?? I have a feeling it could have performed pretty closely to that 6000 series FX if it was overclocked out well. (unless it was an older, non-G0 Q6600 or something that didn't OC well)

Was a q6600 (pulled from a old dell vostro 400) lol and 3ghz was its limit. I tried to go further but was too unstable.

I did look at getting a better c2q but sadly i would have spent more than any 775 system was worth imho and with this setup i can always get a better am3+ cpu later on; this mobo can use up to FX-8370 (hoping to see a good price drop when the am4 hit the market)

Just wanted to move away from the lga775, ddr2, sata 2 limitations that the parts are a bit overpriced and into something with more range of newer tech and expandability.

Edited by whitefiretiger

Was a q6600 (pulled from a old dell vostro 400) lol and 3ghz was its limit. I tried to go further but was too unstable.

I did look at getting a better c2q but sadly i would have spent more than any 775 system was worth imho and with this setup i can always get a better am3+ cpu later on; this mobo can use up to FX-8370 (hoping to see a good price drop when the am4 hit the market)

Just wanted to move away from the lga775, ddr2, sata 2 limitations that the parts are a bit overpriced and into something with more range of newer tech and expandability.

Gotcha! I happened to have lucked out with a Q9450 that was able to OC to a rock solid 4.0GHz, but a Q6600 @ 3GHz would certainly hold you back in this day and age, not to mention all the side technology advancements you're getting. You made a fine choice!

Speaking of AM3+, I remember during the time I had that Q9450 machine, I built my cousin a machine with an x4 620 Athlon II and was able to OC it to 3.41GHz and it was a little budget BEAST! I saw no discernible difference between my C2Q @ 4GHz and that little "low end" quad @ 3.41GHz. I was beyond impressed.

• Like 1

Gotcha! I happened to have lucked out with a Q9450 that was able to OC to a rock solid 4.0GHz, but a Q6600 @ 3GHz would certainly hold you back in this day and age, not to mention all the side technology advancements you're getting. You made a fine choice!

Speaking of AM3+, I remember during the time I had that Q9450 machine, I built my cousin a machine with an x4 620 Athlon II and was able to OC it to 3.41GHz and it was a little budget BEAST! I saw no discernible difference between my C2Q @ 4GHz and that little "low end" quad @ 3.41GHz. I was beyond impressed.

I do like the core 2 cpus they are dependable and to this day are more than enough for your average user.

After i figure out a few things I'll be giving my old build to a good friend of mine who realized he needs more than a core 2 duo laptop for what he does but cannot afford to buy/build a quadcore desktop.

Edited by whitefiretiger

I do like the core 2 cpus they are dependable and to this day are more than enough for your average user.

After i figure out a few things I'll be giving my old build to a good friend of mine who realized he needs more than a core 2 duo laptop for what he does but cannot afford to buy/build a quadcore desktop.

If you're gaming, all you really need is a good graphics card. My friend has an OC'd E8400 @ like 4GHz and a 660Ti and he can max out FO4 pretty much and isn't having issues with any games really.

Man, all this talk of Q6600s (I was lucky and got an amazing deal so I had a Q6700) and Q9450s really brings me back... I managed to get both at a stable 4 ghz for every day use. Those were the days! Validated overclocks are linked in my sig for the non-believers. I had a 4.2 ghz OC on the Q9450 but I can't find the link. :(

Edited by Onion

Was thinking about doing the q9450 from xeon 771 trick but was still not cost effective to do that and a pci sata 3 card and couldnt brind myself to do it on a mobo stuck at 8gb max ram.

Going to research doing cable sleeving and maybe look into shortening some of the wires but need different case first.

Man, all this talk of Q6600s (I was lucky and got an amazing deal so I had a Q6700) and Q9450s really brings me back... I managed to get both at a stable 4 ghz for every day use. Those were the days! Validated overclocks are linked in my sig for the non-believers. I had a 4.2 ghz OC on the Q9450 but I can't find the link. :(

I actually got mine to 4.2GHz too but it was hot as all hell so I backed it down to 4GHz for my everyday 'putin

Was thinking about doing the q9450 from xeon 771 trick but was still not cost effective to do that and a pci sata 3 card and couldnt brind myself to do it on a mobo stuck at 8gb max ram.

Going to research doing cable sleeving and maybe look into shortening some of the wires but need different case first.

Yeah, thinking about it now your upgrade makes much more sense.

That'd be cool, pics!

Yeah, thinking about it now your upgrade makes much more sense.

That'd be cool, pics!

Yeah i thought it threw; even looked at old high end 775 mobos that were ddr3 only (mine was ddr2/3 but nobody sells ddr3 what workes with it)

Wheres a good sorce for sleeving?

Edited by whitefiretiger