First new build since the c2q

whitefiretiger

Well my old core 2 quad build had seen better days and even with lots of upgrades its performance wasnt what i wanted.

I had been hunting for bargains for about 2 months and snagging cheap parts where i could and last night was finaly able to throw everything together and boot up.

Specs are as follows

Case: Thermaltake V3 black edition (reused from old build till i can find the right replacement)

Psu: Thermaltake 600w TR-600

Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

Cpu: AMD FX-6300

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb kit (2x 4gb) ddr3 1600

Gpu: HIS Radeon HD 6850

SSD: Corsair Force LS 120gb (boot drive)

HDD 1: WD 250gb enterprise

HDD 2: Hitachi 1tb enterprise

Cpu cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo with upgraded fans

ODD: Lite-on DVD rw (had it laying around)

My total investment is $125 at this point.

Planning to get a different case and another 8gb ram and im sure ill want to change a few other things later on as well.

Let me know what you guys think.

935163.png

Edited by whitefiretiger

Looks pretty solid. I'd go with a newer video card before too long, depending on your resolution and games played. What are you looking for in a case?

Thanks. Think the video card will be ok for a while (its 2x as good as my old card) but have played with the idea if i can find another cheap just run them in crossfire.

As for a case the big things are wide enough that the hyper 212 evo fits inside, good air flow (120mm fans prefered as thats what i own a ton of), space for decent cable management, and I'd like a window but can always add my own again, budget friendly is the key.

Heres one i really like but kind of holding out to see if i can find better price (wish they sold it for less without all the fans) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-353-051

Edited by whitefiretiger

I admire your frugality with this build! Very nice!

Thanks. When you live paycheck to paycheck you have to learn to spend wisely. I only gave $40 for the cpu & $10 for the gpu.

I looked on newegg and if i bought all from them would be just shy of a $600 build.

Edited by whitefiretiger

Looks pretty solid. I'd go with a newer video card before too long, depending on your resolution and games played. What are you looking for in a case?

Thanks. Think the video card will be ok for a while (its 2x as good as my old card) but have played with the idea if i can find another cheap just run them in crossfire.

As for a case the big things are wide enough that the hyper 212 evo fits inside, good air flow (120mm fans prefered as thats what i own a ton of), space for decent cable management, and I'd like a window but can always add my own again, budget friendly is the key.

Heres one i really like but kind of holding out to see if i can find better price (wish they sold it for less without all the fans) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-353-051

You're welcome. Looks like a nice case, should fit the bill. Some of the Thermaltake, NZXT, Corsair, BitFenix, and Deep Cool cases are in that range, too, or close to it. Can also wait and see what the upcoming OCC contest brings, might get lucky there. Could browse the sale forum here, see if anyone has an HD 6850 to pair with yours or something newer that isn't too expensive.

You're welcome. Looks like a nice case, should fit the bill. Some of the Thermaltake, NZXT, Corsair, BitFenix, and Deep Cool cases are in that range, too, or close to it. Can also wait and see what the upcoming OCC contest brings, might get lucky there. Could browse the sale forum here, see if anyone has an HD 6850 to pair with yours or something newer that isn't too expensive.

There was a nzxt case i was eyeing but it turnes out a friend has it and the 212 evo wont fit. Most things ive found say i need to look at cases that are 8" wide for my cooler.

Think i messed a memo hadnt heard about a "upcoming OCC contest".

Ive looked at the sale forum a bit; was wondering what i needed to do to be able to post as i dont have an option to do so.

Unless i get a very good deal on stuff I'll most likely have to wait till my tax return to get more parts.

There was a nzxt case i was eyeing but it turnes out a friend has it and the 212 evo wont fit. Most things ive found say i need to look at cases that are 8" wide for my cooler.

Think i messed a memo hadnt heard about a "upcoming OCC contest".

Ive looked at the sale forum a bit; was wondering what i needed to do to be able to post as i dont have an option to do so.

Unless i get a very good deal on stuff I'll most likely have to wait till my tax return to get more parts.

OCC contest. Should be starting pretty soon, actually.

Well that sucks about that NZXT case. Wondered if some were that way. The Corsair Graphite 230T should do the trick, and potentially the upcoming SPEC-ALPHA.

Is this the NZXT case you were looking at? NZXT Source 210

Because I was just about to post that as a suggestion to you lol.

This case looks feature rich for $55 (on sale) and its 8.5" wide - Thermaltake Versa N21

Think i overlooked that nxzt because in it looks like a cheap factory case but it does have good features for the price.

That tt is on my list of candidates. Thanks.