Wifi Diagnostics

Guest onions

Not meaning to hijack this thread...BUT would 4 or 5 mobile devices be an issue for one router @2.4Ghz. I'm guessing I'll have to give you the modem info, but I don't remember it and I'm at work :(

Anything recent should have no trouble unless the 4-5 devices are all torrenting at the same time or something. Even then, I'm sure it would be okay.

Not meaning to hijack this thread...BUT would 4 or 5 mobile devices be an issue for one router @2.4Ghz. I'm guessing I'll have to give you the modem info, but I don't remember it and I'm at work :(

Anything recent should have no trouble unless the 4-5 devices are all torrenting at the same time or something. Even then, I'm sure it would be okay.

thx...no torrenting here anymore

In this thread #macbookproblems :P

Glad you got it all sorted out and are enjoying much better signal. I remember when I had my apartment how oversaturated 2.4GHz was and I hardwired my HTPC/Desktop and then was delighted when I got my new phone (old one couldn't do 5GHz) and then upgraded my laptop's wifi card to a dual band AC card :)

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately, I don't have much of an option. Nearly all the people in my apartment complex are elderly as they all bought apartments in the 60s when this area of Paris was developing. Now I'm stuck run 3 with a guy that does tech classes that encourages people to use Office 2003 and tells people that anyone in IT other than him is an evil wizard. He's been feeding residents that crap for 50 years now, so there's not much I can do. Furthermore, the sheer amount of 2.4 Ghz APs is way too high for such a small area, even reorganizing them will leave all channels packed. I've got neighbors front, left, right, and behind, as well as over and under me. To avoid contributing to the 2.4 Ghz congestion issue, I plan on running strictly 5 Ghz (apartment should be small enough for it). Since I have only one neighbor running 5 Ghz, it leaves me plenty of room to get my own channel with no interference.

I meant -85 dBm. Its dog shit, but it should at least be better than what it currently is.

DD-WRT is available on both. I looked at a ton of benchmarks and pulled the trigger on the Nighthawk R7000 because it had a huge advantage... It was cheaper. :lol:

• 4 months later...

I'm using Netgear router, it supports both 2.4 G and 5G wifi, but I don't like the 5G, it's not stable as 2.4G, so I have to disable it at last

Unfortunately, I don't have much of an option. Nearly all the people in my apartment complex are elderly as they all bought apartments in the 60s when this area of Paris was developing. Now I'm stuck with a guy that does tech classes that encourages people to use Office 2003 and tells people that anyone in IT other than him is an evil wizard. He's been feeding residents that crap for 50 years now, so there's not much I can do. Furthermore, the sheer amount of 2.4 Ghz APs is way too high for such a small area, even reorganizing them will leave all channels packed. I've got neighbors front, left, right, and behind, as well as over and under me. To avoid contributing to the 2.4 Ghz congestion issue, I plan on running strictly 5 Ghz (apartment should be small enough for it). Since I have only one neighbor running 5 Ghz, it leaves me plenty of room to get my own channel with no interference.

I meant -85 dBm. Its dog shit, but it should at least be better than what it currently is.