Crossfire R9 380 and 7990?

CAINuKe

So I sent in my Gigabyte 7970 for an RMA and they declared it toasted' and are sending my a R9 380x. I really don't want to give up the 7990 quite yet but is it worth it for me to just sell it and get 2 more 380s or will they be able to crossfire?

I don't think you'll be able to CrossFire the 7990 with the 380X, sadly (I think the 7970s could CrossFire with the 280X, but dunno if there's anything for the 380X). Best bet is to either sell the 7990 or stash it in another system. Up to you.

You could always try and CrossFire it, see what happens. If it works, fantastic, if not, time to part with something.

There's a chance, but it's a bit hard to say. I saw several people say it wont work on the internets but the numbers that you can find saying my setup wont work are rather high so who knows. If it was Tahiti all around you would be good to go, then again AMD MIGHT still let it happen if it works without bugs.  They do have a nice record unlike a certain green team. After all my 290x 4GB and 390 8GB love each other despite all their differences (though of course both are Hawaii).

It's a good idea to point this sort of thing out during an RMA because some companies with replace other cards to keep your Crossfire/SLI setup going or send a different replacement depending on what you have in place.

Edited by cchalogamer

Yes, Yes they would. I have the R9 290X version of that card! 

Pssh I wish I had that level of cash to drop on a R9 Dual GPU. Would simplify my setup by miles.

Now I have a new one, Would I see really any significant performance with a 3rd 380? 

Edited by CAINuKe

Pssh I wish I had that level of cash to drop on a R9 Dual GPU. Would simplify my setup by miles.

Now I have a new one, Would I see really any significant performance with a 3rd 380? 

What resolution are you running? The higher it is, the more the 3rd will scale better.

What resolution are you running? The higher it is, the more the 3rd will scale better.

I am starting to dive into 4K a little but I still do most of my work and play on a 1080P screen

If you're gonna game at 4K it may be worth it... 1080P, ONE would probably work lol. My 7970 manhandled 1920x1200 when I had it, so 1080P would be all the easier, so unless you up the gaming resolution, the third card would be a huge waste... Heck the second would be a fair waste as well.