Wifi woes, should I get a router?

Guest onions

I'm having some issues with an abysmal internet connection in my bedroom, which is also where my desk/office is. I can only use wifi because running an ethernet cable would involve drilling through two walls and running a cable through the living room, which is a no go unfortunately.

The equipment: 802.11n/ac modem/router combo provided by Free, its called the Freebox Revolution.

The apartment: I'm no more than 15 yards away from the router. Between my laptop and the router, there is my bedroom door/wall, as well as two thin walls for a hallway. The issue is that there is a TON of interference and noise on every single channel on 802.11n at 2.4 GHz. Its so bad that I completely disabled the 2.4 GHz band on the router and only broadcast in 802.11n/ac at 5 GHz. It has cured the issue when I'm in the living room (with the router), or the kitchen (which is slightly less far than my room but does have a thick wall) and I get a nice 50 megabits down and 20 megabits up.

The question: What in the world can I do to cure this issue, or at least make my internet usable? I can't use my laptop from my room unless I'm tethered to my cell phone's connection because of this. Will a better router that broadcasts a stronger signal overpower all the interference and noise and improve my situation?

Edit: Further tweaking and testing puts me locked in the 5 GHz AC band. I can get a steady 5 megabytes per second or higher of download speed in the kitchen, but once I go to my room, I peak at 1 megabyte and can't even hold 500 kilobytes (if I'm lucky). There's probably a TON of packet loss because my downloads keep interrupting. Its definitely a noticeable difference and web browsing has vastly improved now.

Speed test in the bedroom after the improvements. This is definitely optimistic and not as good as what I really get.

5008854132.png

138083543.png

138083659.png

Edited by onions