Google Voice

ccokeman

Yes, I use it on a regular basis. On my android phone, I dial from the hangouts dialer app. I have it set to forward to my real cell phone number for receiving calls.

it depends how you set it up. You can have it use your existing carrier voice mail and route calls to that but I prefer not to do that.

When you call or text it shows the GV number and uses that voicemail. You will probably want to set you gmail settings not to notify you because you will get 2 notifications on your phone. 1 from gmail and one from GV.

I use it to bug Dave as my carrier MetroPCS/TMobile doesnt allow out of the country calling without an additional plan. Works great.

You can set it all up on the PC. You'll get a text from GV to your cell to verify your number. From there you just get the GV app from the play store. The app does everything in one app. You dont need to listen to voicemail as it sends them as written like email or text if you will and you can take care of them from there.

I used Hangouts and got the HO Dialer but it seems GV moved away from that and is a standalone application. I had no issues at all with it. I actually like that I can call, text and do VM all in one app.

EDIT: Just like Hangouts the GV is tied to gmail so you can add the extension in chrome or gmail and text or call right from your browser without the need to grab your phone. I dont have it set to receive calls via the PC and it rings direct to the phone.