Tom Clancy's The Division

ClayMeow

Surprised there's no thread for this...it's been my most-anticipated game since it was unveiled at E3 2013 (even awarded it Game of the Show).

Anyway, the reason I'm creating a thread now is because it's still looking mighty good!

And best of all for us PC gamers, it looks like Ubisoft is actually taking its time to provide a great PC experience instead of a mere port. Check out the leaked graphics settings:

https://my.mixtape.moe/sgatsq.mp4

That is a shitload of options to tweak! Hell, that may be the most individual options I've seen in any game.

Disappointed its not an open world game. It would have been interesting if it was setup like DayZ or Rust. Everyone on one map, where you can raid AI bases and fight other players. Now its more along the lines of a Destiny/Warframe. Play your co-op missions, then enter an separate open pvp zone.

I wonder if the dark zone will be a purely kill on sight zone. Also PVP will not be on even grounds like DayZ and Rust, where stats are static. We'll have to see how huge of a difference a geared character is vs someone with lesser gear.

I'm hoping Ghost Recon Wildlands to be my open world co-op game.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

Disappointed its not an open world game. It would have been interesting if it was setup like DayZ or Rust. Everyone on one map, where you can raid AI bases and fight other players. Now its more along the lines of a Destiny/Warframe. Play your co-op missions, then enter an separate open pvp zone.

I wonder if the dark zone will be a purely kill on sight zone. Also PVP will not be on even grounds like DayZ and Rust, where stats are static. We'll have to see how huge of a difference a geared character is vs someone with lesser gear.

I'm hoping Ghost Recon Wildlands to be my open world co-op game.

It's most certainly an open-world game; I believe you meant you're disappointed it's not an MMO, which I never expected it to be. And I for one am glad it's not. Everything I've read from people who have played the alpha have said it's much better than Destiny, so I'm holding out hope.

As for The Dark Zone, this is how Ubisoft describes it:

The Dark Zone is the PvP-enabled area populated with enemies and other players. The reason it

• 2 weeks later...

So no NDA on beta, played it for a few hours. The game for the most part is well made, I think I've only ran into one bug/glitch. Somehow I got god mode vs all AI in the Dark Zone. The game didn't reward me for my abuse of the bug sadly, nothing of use dropped after 2-3 bases raided. Once another player hit me it was gone.

The Dark Zone is better than I expected it to be for player conduct, but that can easily change once there are a lot more people. Its probably the same experience you'll get in a mmorpg contested zone. Players will work together, fight each other, and ignore each other. There have been quite a few betrayals and they end up resulting in a free 4 all brawl (5+ people). The Dark Zone seems to be a fairly smooth transition between the level difficulties, however the beta has locked out zones above level 6-8.

As far as the PVE missions, I think they only let you do two main story missions and a handful of side missions. They play out somewhat like what you would expect. Clear out the building, defend a zone, rescue hostages, and etc. The map is similar to GTA games. While you can go street to street, most of the buildings are just for looks and non-enter-able. The AI civilians however aren't as lively and unpredictable as GTA 5. They pretty much do nothing other than chatter like an Assassin's Creed game. I've been playing GTA 5 lately and its just hilarious the things the AI pedestrians do like get into fights with the police or going berserk when gunfire is directed near them.

PC friendly UI/Controls?

Controls I would say are very PC friendly. They give you a lot of options to toggle things on/off such as 180 degree turn around, press button to turn corners on cover, auto vault objectives, and etc. Gives you enough to customize the game how you want it.

UI is mostly PC friendlym, but has some quirks like not being able to mouse click on main menu (looks to be an issue with alt+tab). I believe you can adjust UI scale, locations, crosshair sizes, auto-hide HUD, and etc. I wish it had a better item compare option for on-pickup items, similar to the inventory compare one. It would be very useful in the Dark Zone, since you can only pick up a limited number of items. The one they have now just isn't enough information, it leaves out all the stats/perks and just seems to focus on armor/damage. There is a multi-screen option however I couldn't get it to work neither would windowed / windowed full-screen work. Stuff I expect to be ironed out on launch or may just be my configuration.

Update: Now that I think about it multi-screen support probably means with Eyefinity and Nvidia Surround. Not just moving stuff to another monitor like BF3/4's Battlelog browser for a big full screen map.

-----------

Proof of this horrible invisible / god mode bug. Seems to be happening to others as well.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

Well I got an invite to the Beta so I thought I would try it out even though it is through Uplay. I was getting some connection error every time I tried to load it up all weekend. At least Uplay met my expectations.

Ubisoft extended Division beta 24-hours,.. servers will remain open until Tuesday, Feb, 2, at 6am EST.

The Division is definitely a game that is worth looking at if you're into shooters and role-playing games,.. the PC version is well done.

Game is not bad.. But I got this bug twice.. You start the game and go through the scene and you reach a point where you have bullets and the gun does not fire.. Nothing worked, reboot or restarting the game. Well started the whole character creation and it started working. Day 2 played and after finishing something and it came back.. Just uninstalled

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't get to play it as much as I would have liked, but I enjoyed it. I beat both of the story missions available in the Beta, along with a few side missions and some random pop-up encounters. They were pretty solid and actually a bit better than I expected based on some initial reviews from the closed beta.

I only played the Dark Zone for about a half hour. It was intense, but like other every-man-for-themselves PvP games, playing solo isn't a great experience. I got jumped by a team of two after fighting some AI. Then when I respawned, I chased them down and literally two seconds before reaching them, they lost their Rogue status, so attacking them caused me to go Rogue, which was pretty lame. The Rogue timer is way too short, or they simply need to allow revenge killings. After that, realizing being solo in the Dark Zone was not ideal, I decided to just be a dick and I went to an evac point, placed a prox mine and right when it arrived, blew up two people....then got swarmed by five people, but it was still worth it. lol.

Unfortunately I didn't see Waco's friend request until after I was done playing, otherwise maybe playing Dark Zone together would have been cooler.

I played a bunch yesterday, but just on my own doing the missions and encounters. Left two or three encounters untouched, but I did all the story missions. It's enjoyable, but I don't know how much depth and variety there is in the long run. The Dark Zone is neat, dabbled with it some, but it's the wild west in there. Either you work together with no killing or it's a free-for-all with killing everywhere. No real structure to it. The single player side is fun, but the PvP needs work.

Still, I like what I saw, just something I'm going to wait and see how it is after launch. Like Waco said, not sure if I'd have $60 worth of fun with it, especially if the single player side ends in 20 hours. Is there enough of a PvP draw to cover the rest? No idea.