Mini ITX Build - $800 Budget - Gaming oriented

Just throwin this out there but since you are going on top of a cabinet you could perhaps lay a regular sized case on its side instead of a mini build. I only say this because I am running a mid sized case and am always struggling for room. I know guys get by with mini but I suspect they are using something else for data storage. Mini is cool because its mini but its also a pain in the butt at the same time because you will be stuffed full right off the hop.

With the size of drives that are on the market now, it's really a non-issue. 

I don't store tons of music, movies, or any other stuff on my machines. I have a hardwired NAS that sits in a closet with ample storage, in addition to the HP DL360 server that holds all our DVD/BluRay images. 

With the width and depth of the cabinet, I'm trying to recess it behind the trim to act as a view-block as much as possible. From the angle that you can see the area on top of the cabinet it will be well hidden. Going with a full size case means it would have to be on top/above the trim, and be more visible from all angles. The end goal by going mini is to keep it inconspicuous when not in use - to include remoting the power button to a convenient location outside of the case for easy access.

Seems well thought out. Please post some pictures when you are done.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the build is finalized, with the exception of a CPU cooler and that I went with the 980 instead of the 970....

Starting to order parts tonight so hopefully can start the build by next weekend.

Getting closer and I can't wait.

Parts should be arriving starting tomorrow.

I paid a little extra (a few dollars) for some of the parts via Amazon, but with the upgraded two day shipping for free as a Prime member it saved me some money on shipping costs. Also having an Amazon Rewards Credit Card with a 6% rewards rate helps (nearly $42 back in rewards!). Many thanks to ccokeman for the GPU and SSD.

Now the scary part... Went completely and totally over budget. Big time. If I wouldn't have set the budget at $800, I would have spent $2000 if I could find the parts (hmmm, dual Titans anyone?). I knew $800 was doable if I kept it at a moderate build, but buying a 2nd hand GTX980, upgrading to the i5-6600K, and staying in the mITX form factor was going to mean performance was going to be a premium. I could have found a comparable Z170 motherboard for 1/2 the cost if I was in some ATX form factor.

All in all for $1197, I think I'm getting a pretty kickin' system that's going to keep me happy for a few years.

post-79240-0-41621600-1453272232_thumb.png

Edited by Fire_Medic

I got you down to $880 and managed to get squeeze in some much faster ram (2400 vs 3200) and a motherboard that has wifi built in. Its still a Z170, but instead of being an overpriced gaming branded FATAL1TY board, its a Gigabyte (which have great customer support). Let me know what you think.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JjRpf7

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($117.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($319.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $880.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 05:56 EST-0500

Sorry bud, but if you go up a couple posts you can see exactly what I ordered...

Upgraded to an i5 6600k, and avoided the Gigabyte board when I first started looking. Gigabyte was shit when I first started building computers, MSI wasn't far behind. Asus and DFI were the kings of the market, and I stuck with a name I knew.

My choice of retailers was limited (Prime Rewards CC, for example through Amazon). Having the ability to gain rewards, and getting two day shipping was incentive enough.

The only bits I'm waiting for are the second SSD and the video card which are expected later in the week.