LED IPS Gaming Monitor

Fogel

I'm trying to hold off on totally geeking-out and writing a giant wall of gibberish no one but me is interested in reading but the super quick response is I'm totally in love with great picture quality and accurate/vivid colors.  Right now IPS is best tech to get that.  I've tried TN and did not like it at all, even from major brands with high rep.

I do not know much about VA panels at all to be completely honest so I don't know how much it matured.   Last I read on VA panels the response time from Black-to-White was awesome but the response time from Dark-to-Dark was horrible.   So bad that ghosting was a big problem.  Their black rating and contrast are the big draw and color reproduction while not IPS quality is supposedly very good.   But I really don't know the current deal with them and how much they bridged the gap on the Dark-to-Dark response time.   Neither tech is perfect and all 3 have big drawbacks but it feels like IPS fits my wants best.

If you have updated info and/or just know of some good VA panels please share.

Between IPS, VA, and...whatever the third one is that I can't remember, they're all pretty similar these days as far as I know. TN is the only one I tend to stay away from.

I'm trying to hold off on totally geeking-out and writing a giant wall of gibberish no one but me is interested in reading but the super quick response is I'm totally in love with great picture quality and accurate/vivid colors.  Right now IPS is best tech to get that.  I've tried TN and did not like it at all, even from major brands with high rep.

I do not know much about VA panels at all to be completely honest so I don't know how much it matured.   Last I read on VA panels the response time from Black-to-White was awesome but the response time from Dark-to-Dark was horrible.   So bad that ghosting was a big problem.  Their black rating and contrast are the big draw and color reproduction while not IPS quality is supposedly very good.   But I really don't know the current deal with them and how much they bridged the gap on the Dark-to-Dark response time.   Neither tech is perfect and all 3 have big drawbacks but it feels like IPS fits my wants best.

If you have updated info and/or just know of some good VA panels please share.

Between IPS, VA, and...whatever the third one is that I can't remember, they're all pretty similar these days as far as I know. TN is the only one I tend to stay away from.

PLS. Samsung's take on LG's IPS. Don't know if any PLS go over 60Hz, at least officially, while IPS does.

IPS and PLS are basically the same, while VA is slightly less so. MVA over PVA, imo.

10+ in stock order within 4-hours for Friday 1-8-2016 delivery,.. price is $1,101.46 US https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-pg27aq-rog-swift-27-3840x2160-ips-4k-g-sync-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-090-as.html

That is a high price for a 27".  It does check all but 1 box (not a 144Hz refresh rate) though and that 1 box is subjective.   Though I don't want to deal with overseas shipping.   The shipping cost would be horrendous and returns/repairs worse.   Thanks for tracking it down though.   It does look like a great monitor.

The TFT Central review of the XB270HU was so glowing (they crowned it best gaming monitor) that I'm back to seriously considering the successor.   Still wish it was a Dell or LG though.  What would make this decision much easier is if the Asus PG279Q didn't have such horrid reviews complaining about the QC.

@Waco / BP

Good points.   All 3 (TN vs IPS vs VA) are so close now it probably doesn't even matter.   I still don't know much about VA but I haven't really came across any VA competitors to make me research them yet.  I see two listed on that 144hzmonitors.com BP brought up but both are Ultra Wide 1080s.   If I do an Ultra Wide it will definitely have more height than 1080.   Don't know if you guys check out that TFT Central review I linked in my previous post but looks like the latest IPS panels are competing with TN panels now on Response Times.   Before that was IPS' biggest weakness and TN's biggest strong point.  That is why they came up with the VA panels, to bridge the gap but looks like the gap is quite small on all 3 like you said.

VA, IPS, and PLS all have similar viewing angles, color reproduction, and are all pretty close in terms of performance and what you get. TN is still the one I wouldn't use on my own rig unless there was no other option or I was forced to.

TN serves a purpose - fastest response times and cheapest to produce.   Not for me but they're still made for a reason.   Unlike PVA, which Samsung also created in addition to PLS.   PVA literally does absolutely nothing better than the other 3 panel types (TN, IPS and VA).   It is its own panel type but it has more cons than pros so it is pretty much gone.  Far as PLS goes, BP said it right, PLS is just IPS made by Samsung.   The technology is so similar that when other companies use Samsung PLS panels many times they just advertise it as IPS.   He's also correct in that they can't support a refresh rate over 60Hz currently at least.   There are some Korean models that can be OC'd to 100Hz but that is NOT official or supported and the Korean models have their own issues.   If you're serious about your monitors it is better to go with a brand name model.

Don't get me wrong I would love it if they just plain stopped investing in TN altogether and focused on IPS all the way but they do serve a purpose.   Though it really does surprise me how much ground was made on IPS response times.  IPS now competes with TN ...BUT you will pay for that as I'm finding in my research.   You are going to spend at least $400-500 for an IPS with a good response time and most likely closer to over $700 if you want IPS quality and gaming response times and refresh rates.   Not everyone is going to spend that, so here is where TN panels come to play.

At some point I will study up on VA panels but I do more research on monitors than any other computer part and it is already taking too much of my time just focusing on IPS.

I agree, crappy tech should just be allowed to die and the superior tech be allowed to be mass produced to the point it's close in price to the cheaper one. I mean it's not like CRTs or CCFL backlit flat panels are still produced (as much).

• 3 weeks later...

Can't offer too much in monitor advice, but I'm interested to see what you get.

Slight update...

Finished the build and went the Acer Predator HB271XU.    Love it!   Once you go 144Hz and G-Sync you don't want to go back.   Games are buttery smooth.

Every now and then I don't get a picture so I have to unplug it and plug it back in but I'm not sure it is the monitor's fault.   I read on both the Asus forums and the Nvidia forums that 970/980 users have experienced Display Port issues on a variety of monitors.   It is really annoying though because I'm not entirely sure it is the graphics card's fault either.   Every now and then the USB port doesn't work and I have to reboot but this might mean I have two annoying bugs in my new build.   When it works though, its great.

Can't offer too much in monitor advice, but I'm interested to see what you get.

Slight update...

Finished the build and went the Acer Predator HB271XU.    Love it!   Once you go 144Hz and G-Sync you don't want to go back.   Games are buttery smooth.

Every now and then I don't get a picture so I have to unplug it and plug it back in but I'm not sure it is the monitor's fault.   I read on both the Asus forums and the Nvidia forums that 970/980 users have experienced Display Port issues on a variety of monitors.   It is really annoying though because I'm not entirely sure it is the graphics card's fault either.   Every now and then the USB port doesn't work and I have to reboot but this might mean I have two annoying bugs in my new build.   When it works though, its great.

Glad you're happy, I still haven't tried a high refresh monitor

• 3 months later...

So I need some advice.   I know exactly what I want...

Must Haves:

1. IPS Panel (no exceptions)
  2. LED
  3. Response Time (6ms or less)
  4. Refresh Rate (nothing less than 60Hz)
  5. Great colors
  6. Good Black Rating

Would Also Love to Have:

1. Refresh Rate (144Hz or greater) << I almost put this in the above priority
  2. 2k or 4k (picture quality matters more than resolution to me)
  3. Thin bezel (really low priority)

It appears what I want won't be cheap, soo... the question becomes has technology improved enough for me to buy what I want?   I've waited for a monitor with these specs for over 5 years.   Patience is waining.   The tech is here but is it advanced for me to be satisfied?  While the price tag will hurt I will pay for a really good monitor.

Monitors that met my google search:

That doesn't mean that is my only choices.   I'm making this topic so if someone knows of other monitors that fit my criteria they will clue me in.   I used to use TFT Central for my monitor hunting but as good as his reviews are, his selection is very limited and his TFT Selector didn't find anything for me.

I know nothing of Acer monitors so I'm not sure what to expect there.   I'm leery though.   Never had a Asus monitor either but I've heard good things about Asus monitors.   While it looks awesome and checks every box... the reviews on the PG278Q are scary because quality control seems pretty bad.  Dell monitors are almost always good so even though the P2715Q does not check all the boxes it does look like a solid monitor.   I don't know if there are other (maybe newer) Dell monitors that check more boxes?

While I don't want my selection to be between those 3 above, if it was limited to the 3 above which would you choose?

Actually I somehow missed the ROG Swift was a TN panel.   Found out reading the reviews for the Dell S2716DG.   I might consider a TN ...if it is a seriously awesome TN panel that competes with IPS picture quality and colors, but IPS is still my #1 want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009716