First SSD to possibly die on me?

IVIYTH0S

What? Have there been any reports of the memory controllers in SSDs going bad? In general, that would cause a total drive failure, not sporadic (and reproducible) read errors.

Yeah, on three SSD's that all had Indilinx controllers. Pieces of crud, never using those controllers again.

How do you know the memory controller failed versus something else? Since the controllers use RAM to track just about everything, if the RAM was unreliable in any way, you'd end up with total drive failure pretty much instantly.

There were a bunch of bad firmwares for those drives though - my original 2009 era drives are still going strong with the last *stable* firmware release from Supertalent and I beat the snot out of them in my daily desktop for years before retiring them to Xbox One duties.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Have there been any reports of the memory controllers in SSDs going bad? In general, that would cause a total drive failure, not sporadic (and reproducible) read errors.

Yeah, on three SSD's that all had Indilinx controllers. Pieces of crud, never using those controllers again.

How do you know the memory controller failed versus something else? Since the controllers use RAM to track just about everything, if the RAM was unreliable in any way, you'd end up with total drive failure pretty much instantly.

There were a bunch of bad firmwares for those drives though - my original 2009 era drives are still going strong with the last *stable* firmware release from Supertalent and I beat the snot out of them in my daily desktop for years before retiring them to Xbox One duties.

3 different SSD's, same controller, different NAND. I have SSD's that have the same NAND, but different controllers, and they're still going good. So... that's just my little conclusion.

Edited by El_Capitan

Sounds like the firmware bug that plagued them for a while - I had to flash mine to the Supertalent firmware to rid myself of it.

Yeah, it was probably the case. I look periodically for firmware updates, but maybe a month or more is sometimes too late.

• 6 months later...

Why i always spend the extra $

My samsung evo 850 wrll both of them get used and abused. And touch wood they have not let me down

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RMA that sucker road runner

I am I filled out the request, only reason I went to ssd was I thought it would be trouble free for a longer period of time was I ever wrong. The first drive I pulled out was an old raptor from when I changed to the seagate hybrid drive.

It worked fine same os I just transfered data to the new drive. Then I found my seagate hybrid its working fine also a little more up to date but windows update doesnt seem to be working it just keeps looking and looking