32 replies to this topic

#25 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16508 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:53 PM

What? Have there been any reports of the memory controllers in SSDs going bad? In general, that would cause a total drive failure, not sporadic (and reproducible) read errors.

Yeah, on three SSD's that all had Indilinx controllers. Pieces of crud, never using those controllers again.

How do you know the memory controller failed versus something else? Since the controllers use RAM to track just about everything, if the RAM was unreliable in any way, you'd end up with total drive failure pretty much instantly.

There were a bunch of bad firmwares for those drives though - my original 2009 era drives are still going strong with the last *stable* firmware release from Supertalent and I beat the snot out of them in my daily desktop for years before retiring them to Xbox One duties.

Tolerance is a sign of weakness.

#26 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

What? Have there been any reports of the memory controllers in SSDs going bad? In general, that would cause a total drive failure, not sporadic (and reproducible) read errors.

Yeah, on three SSD's that all had Indilinx controllers. Pieces of crud, never using those controllers again.

How do you know the memory controller failed versus something else? Since the controllers use RAM to track just about everything, if the RAM was unreliable in any way, you'd end up with total drive failure pretty much instantly.

There were a bunch of bad firmwares for those drives though - my original 2009 era drives are still going strong with the last *stable* firmware release from Supertalent and I beat the snot out of them in my daily desktop for years before retiring them to Xbox One duties.

3 different SSD's, same controller, different NAND. I have SSD's that have the same NAND, but different controllers, and they're still going good. So... that's just my little conclusion.

Edited by El_Capitan, 04 January 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#27 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Members
  • 16508 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Sounds like the firmware bug that plagued them for a while - I had to flash mine to the Supertalent firmware to rid myself of it.

#28 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like the firmware bug that plagued them for a while - I had to flash mine to the Supertalent firmware to rid myself of it.

Yeah, it was probably the case. I look periodically for firmware updates, but maybe a month or more is sometimes too late.

#29 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Members
  • 16508 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:58 AM

I'll dig up the version I'm running tonight. Zero problems since upgrading.

#30 tys91

tys91

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

Why i always spend the extra $
My samsung evo 850 wrll both of them get used and abused. And touch wood they have not let me down

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#31 road-runner

road-runner

Posting Machine

• Folding Member
  • 11385 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:32 AM

That is what I just ordered a samsung evo 850 500gb. The sandisk ultra 2 480 died on me only a year and half old

I7-6900K Asus X99 Deluxe 2 Corsair Vengeance 32Gb Intel 750 400gb  2- 1080ti

sigimage.gif

#32 ir_cow

ir_cow

I Am A Cow...

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6400 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

RMA that sucker road runner

IR Twitter / OCC YouTube Channel / NVIDIA OC Guides; 1070, 1070 Ti, 1080 Ti, 2080

OCC Best AMD Motherboard Picks 2018 / OCC Best Mid ATX Computer Cases 2018

Main Rig: Threadripper 1920X, GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX, NVIDIA RTX 2080, Intel 730(s) 480GB, 32GB [email protected], Seasonic 1000w Plat.

Review Test Rig: : i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz, MSI-GD65 Gaming, Geforce GTX 770 , Corsair Force GT 240 GB, Patriot 16 GB 2400 (2x8gb), Thermaltake 750w.

#33 road-runner

road-runner

Posting Machine

• Folding Member
  • 11385 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

RMA that sucker road runner

I am I filled out the request, only reason I went to ssd was I thought it would be trouble free for a longer period of time was I ever wrong. The first drive I pulled out was an old raptor from when I changed to the seagate hybrid drive.
It worked fine same os I just transfered data to the new drive. Then I found my seagate hybrid its working fine also a little more up to date but windows update doesnt seem to be working it just keeps looking and looking

I7-6900K Asus X99 Deluxe 2 Corsair Vengeance 32Gb Intel 750 400gb  2- 1080ti

sigimage.gif