First SSD to possibly die on me?

IVIYTH0S

^ Yay!

Yeah, probably just some bad errors due to Windows updates. I had the same issue on Windows 10. At first I thought it was an SSD gone bad, but when I fixed the Windows errors, the issues went away.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yay!

Yeah, probably just some bad errors due to Windows updates. I had the same issue on Windows 10. At first I thought it was an SSD gone bad, but when I fixed the Windows errors, the issues went away.

Maybe, we'll see if next month's backup fails haha. Oh well, glad to not have to get rid of ol' SandraD :teehee:...yet :O

Looks good for now, though as you know only time will tell. I'll leave this here for the later searches if someone else needs a guide for secure erase. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1227597/how-to-secure-erase-your-solid-state-drive-ssd-with-parted-magic

I saw that guide, it didn't work though, Idk about other drive manufacturers but it seems like the best way to secure erase (or better) is to use your drive manufacturer's own toolkit to do it. I tried parted magic and it was locked and I needed to use the bootable version of SanDisk Dashboard, then I was successful!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

When ever I found a "locked" drive I just slaved it into another PC and booted PM from there and it worked fine.

For some reason I have a APU board that will boot to PM but will not reboot when trying to wake a "sleeping" drive. I have to slave the drive into my old rig. no issues. 

When ever I found a "locked" drive I just slaved it into another PC and booted PM from there and it worked fine.

For some reason I have a APU board that will boot to PM but will not reboot when trying to wake a "sleeping" drive. I have to slave the drive into my old rig. no issues. 

Yeah I tried the sleep thing...my computer stayed asleep lol. The SanDisk one told me to just physically unplug its power and then plug it back, wait 10 seconds, and then click ok. Guess I could have tried that with PM but it didn't give me that as an option.

Great you got it up and running , hopefully it will last, I'm going to bookmark this tread for sure , my ocz is past the 3 year mark and it has 8 bad sectors sense day 1.

What kind is it? I have an OCZ Vertex 2 and Agility 4 going strong but honestly couldn't tell you if they have any bad sectors...they're working great though :lol:

The memory controller would be the first thing to go before the NAND flash, and the errors you're seeing only reports read errors.

What? Have there been any reports of the memory controllers in SSDs going bad? In general, that would cause a total drive failure, not sporadic (and reproducible) read errors.

The read errors are real, they go away once you "fix" the files (AKA rewrite them) because you've...moved the data to another sector in the flash. The original data is now marked as free by the controller, and it lies about the data contained in those sectors since they aren't actually allocated any more.

SSDs are tricky beasts, and the FTA layer makes them incredibly hard to diagnose since LBA 12 doesn't actually map to any particular location in flash.

The controllers know those sectors are bad, that's why they're returning read errors. $10 says if you check your SMART data there's a few reallocated sectors that weren't there before, assuming the values updated properly. I've had a few that didn't update them even when I actually had bad/reallocated sectors. :lol:

The memory controller would be the first thing to go before the NAND flash, and the errors you're seeing only reports read errors.

What? Have there been any reports of the memory controllers in SSDs going bad? In general, that would cause a total drive failure, not sporadic (and reproducible) read errors.

The read errors are real, they go away once you "fix" the files (AKA rewrite them) because you've...moved the data to another sector in the flash. The original data is now marked as free by the controller, and it lies about the data contained in those sectors since they aren't actually allocated any more.

SSDs are tricky beasts, and the FTA layer makes them incredibly hard to diagnose since LBA 12 doesn't actually map to any particular location in flash.

The controllers know those sectors are bad, that's why they're returning read errors. $10 says if you check your SMART data there's a few reallocated sectors that weren't there before, assuming the values updated properly. I've had a few that didn't update them even when I actually had bad/reallocated sectors. :lol:

You right lol

New reallocated sectors on point

Now you're making me paranoid and I'm running scans on all of mine. :lol:

Glad to hear they did implement SMART at least mostly correctly. You should have never seen actual read errors though, that means the controller missed them or the drive sat offline for a long damn time (which it doesn't sound like that's the case).

Yeah, on three SSD's I had that all had Indilinx controllers. Pieces of crud, never using those controllers again.

Edited by El_Capitan