Sign in to follow this  
technician

Corsair RM550x vs XFX XTR 550W power supplies?

Hi!

I'm trying to choose between these two power supplies.

My gaming system:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
RAM: 1866 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2 x 8GB
Graphics card: Asus Strix GTX 970 Overclocked Edition
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
CPU Cooler: Noctua with two Corsair fans SP120 PWM Performance Edition
Case fans: 4 Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition

I'm not planning to run dual graphics cards. According to this online calculator (http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator), my system may consume 370W "in a typical real-world scenario such as running modern 3D games"  at stock clocks and minimum recommended PSU is 420W. I assume 550W PSU will be enough for my needs but I want to be sure my PSU will have enough power reserve to handle some overclocking or component change. I'm gonna break it up into things that bother me the most.

1) Corsair cables with built-in capacitors feel a bit like cheating to me. With those cables replaced by regular ones the ripple suppression of both units would probably be similar. Not to mention it makes them bulkier and more prone to damage. XFX flat ribbon cables are more elegant, stealthier and easier to route.

2) Corsair rifle-bearing fan is less reliable than XFX's FDB one. Still I believe it should last for the entire warranty period. But according to some tests, XFX fan is potentially noisier at higher loads.

3) Corsair unit is more elegant to my taste. Not that it matters much for my Corsair Carbide Air 540 case. But there is a bigger problem. The other end of PSU [with modular interface] is secured from two sides by adjustable support bar in my case. I won't be able to properly secure Corsair PSU because of its cut corners/edges. So every time I need to lay my case on its side, I would have to remove PSU first. I don't consider EVGA units for the same reason and the fact that they are 165mm long whereas that support bar is adjustable in 10mm increments (160, 170, etc.) so I won't be able to secure the end of those PSUs at all.

4) It seems that XFX is a two year old unit (I find reviews for current models dating back to January 2014 http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6022/xfx-xtr-550-watt-80-plus-gold-power-supply-review/index.html)whereas Corsair's was released in the middle of 2015. I don't know if it matters much if XFX still adheres to all current standards but I just don't want to buy this unit and see a new and potentially better one released in a few months.

5) Corsair unit doesn't have a test button for the fan whereas XFX's switch for Hybrid/Normal modes not only can be used as a test button but allows to change fan profile.

If 650W is a better option for my system then probably Corsair RM650i would be superior than XFX XTR 650W. But I'm afraid that most of the time it will be under 50% load and the money will not be wisely spent.

Maybe somebody can tell me something that would tip the scale in one direction or the other. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Edited by technician

Guest onions

Bumping this because I'm interested as well. My build will need an estimated 360 watts and I'm wondering if I can get by with a gold rated quality 550 watt PSU instead of spending more for a gold rated quality 750 watt.

A PSU is most efficient at 80-90% load. If you overbuy, it adds room to expand, but you don't really need to go over by a fee hundred watts.

As for securing the end of the PSU - if its mounted to the rear of the case there's no reason to worry.

I don't think you need more then 500W if you don't go with dual graphic cards, personally I think Corsair's powersupplies are a bit overpriced, I recommend trying the Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX Gold 500W