[SPOILERS] - Star Wars VII Thoughts

Black64

Black64 I don't think you were paying attention during the movie.  :teehee:

It was clearly stated that Luke was training padowans, who the padowans were, what happened to all of them and how the new bad guys were formed. They also said why Luke left.

Maybe you should go rewatch it. 

Yep. And that wasn't Luke's lightsaber that Maz was keeping safe, it was his old one and the same one that Anakin made back in the prequels. Luke constructed a new lightsaber after losing his in Cloud City, which presumably is the one Maz was keeping locked up.

As for Luke's Jedi school, TFA clearly states he was training a bunch of Jedi, including Ben Solo, but Ben was seduced by the Dark Side and Snoke. Ben then turned on Luke's Jedi, slaughtered them in order to finish what Anakin (Vader) had started, got involved with the Knights of Ren, and took up a new name, Kylo, with Ren as the surname. Hence he's known as Kylo Ren, with Ben Solo well and truly dead. Luke saw Ben's fall to the Dark Side as a failure on his part and put himself in exile to, maybe, better reconnect with the Force via his old masters. (Last bit after the exile is pure speculation on my part and something we won't know for sure what Luke was doing until Episode VIII arrives in May, 2017.)

Black64 I don't think you were paying attention during the movie.  :teehee:

It was clearly stated that Luke was training padowans, who the padowans were, what happened to all of them and how the new bad guys were formed. They also said why Luke left.

Maybe you should go rewatch it. 

For all we know they could be dead, there is probably a good reason the first order is only looking for Luke, otherwise they might have mentioned they are trying to hunt down the rest of the jedi and Luke or something like that. Add to the fact we never actually saw or heard mention of any jedi other than Luke in the whole movie. It's kind of an unkown factor of EP7, however i would have loved to see a new jedi leading the resistance with Leia.

See my bit above for the explanation given in the movie and then written out by me in text form. And also explained by Locutus.

The new "empire" seemed exactly the same to old empire, they had a powerful general, a powerful sith and even more powerful sith leading from the shadows. Which IMHO, should have been Darth Sidous or Darth Plageous. Heck, I think Darth Maul should have at least been in this! I mean come on, where did these "new sith come from? And how is the empire so strong again? Really a death star 3? I cringed so hard when they fired that thing, it's already been done twice! TWICE!

Immediately stopped reading after this...

Darth Sidous and Plageous are dead as dead gets. Darth Maul is even more dead.... But regardless of how dead they were, they are 30 years additional dead at this point... How.. HOW? Is this even a justifiable request? I am really glad you weren't in charge of making Ep 7 because I would have walked out of the movie if Darth Maul and Darth Sidous jump out and high five each other and try to take over the galaxy again.

But in all seriousness it wasn't that bad... And the two new evil guys aren't sith. They are just users of the dark side of the force. Neither claimed to be sith lords, and neither go by the standard Sith naming of Darth .

Also I did keep reading and you are right it follows the same plot points of Ep.4. You know what though, so did Avengers 2 and Avengers... It happens man, it was still a good movie. If you haven't seen it yet everyone who likes Star Wars should go. It wasn't the ground breaking sequel we'd all wanted, but it was still a good movie.

Precisely. Darth Sidious = the Emperor, who is dead. Darth Maul shows up during the Clone Wars cartoon, so if you want to see more of him, watch that. Darth Plagueis has a novel, but he was killed by Darth Sidious right around the time Episode I took place. Snoke is the Supreme Leader of the First Order, with Kylo Ren being master of the Knights of Ren. The Knights of Ren are affiliated with the First Order, but the Knights do not consider themselves Sith, like Mercury points out. Neither Snoke or Ren refer to themselves as Sith, just simply Dark Side users and Knights of Ren. I mean, when Snoke is speaking to Kylo Ren, he says "even you, master of the Knights of Ren..." since that is this new Dark Side group that wants to destroy the remaining Jedi.

Lol guys, Darth Sidious comes back in the EU multiple times, I was just saying my opinion based on that. I honestly loved the EU and would have been happy to see JJ include some features of the EU, but I guess not. Nor I am I saying I have given up on Star Wars, just curious to see how the next few movies play out.

The only real fact here is we just have to wait and see how the next 2 movies play out, some of us my not like this movie, but if they can take the next 2 in a great direction and bring new villains/great story lines to the table, then I am all for it.

Edited by Black64

Emperor Palpatine died when the Death Star II exploded. (Expanded Universe from this point and no longer canon.) His body was gone, but his spirit stayed behind and went into a clone body. That body was eventually killed, went into another clone, which was killed, and then tried to take over Han and Leia's infant son. However, before the spirit could take over the baby's body, a dying Jedi Knight intercepted the spirit, bound it to his own, and then they died together as they became one with the Force. Palpatine was finally dead and gone at that point.

Would that work in the new movies? No idea, but I wouldn't want to watch it. We're getting new stuff, accept that, and move on with your life. Enjoy the fact we're getting new Star Wars movies that are more inline with the Original Trilogy than the Prequel Trilogy.

I very much enjoyed the movie but raised an eyebrow to how fast Rey/Finn could wield the lightsaber like champs, how strong yet weak Ren/Ben was and how flat Captain Phasma ended up being (atleast for now?). At the same time this all excited me because if they're already this strong now, I can't wait to see how much stronger they become (good and evil) in the later movies.

Anakin's and Luke's lightsaber Rey has is cursed. She better make her own lightsabler lest she loses her right hand.

Is this a canon fact?

No, it's Cap being funny. That lightsaber cost Anakin his right hand (and his legs) when he was using it. When Luke was using it, he also lost his right hand. If Rey keeps using it, maybe she'll lose her right hand, too, to continue with the trend and Cap's cursed remark. :lol:

Anakin's and Luke's lightsaber Rey has is cursed. She better make her own lightsabler lest she loses her right hand.

Is this a canon fact?

No, it's Cap being funny. That lightsaber cost Anakin his right hand (and his legs) when he was using it. When Luke was using it, he also lost his right hand. If Rey keeps using it, maybe she'll lose her right hand, too, to continue with the trend and Cap's cursed remark. :lol:

Hmm That would actually be kinda cool if was a canon thing, wonder if they might play off that later in the movies...

I just saw it the 2nd time, this time with the wife. She enjoyed it. We watched the Return of the Jedi last night to bring her back to speed, and she was falling asleep. Stupid special editions...

By the way, George Lucas will have a special edition coming, ain't you all excited!

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing a Facebook post about Liea I decided to glance through han solo's updated biography.

As a reaction to reading that I am debating holding a funeral pyre for all my SW books. No recycling the burning is Symbolic.

Bottom line for me:  You can say the prequels were terrible but at least I walked away with something I enjoyed from each of them.  I walked away with only disgust from episode 7.  I'm a huge Star Wars fan (Just got my force fx Darth Vader Lightsaber :woot: ) and I can't stand this movie.  I will watch it again at home and give it one more shot but i don't think my opinion will change. :wallbash:

Bottom line for me:  You can say the prequels were terrible but at least I walked away with something I enjoyed from each of them.  I walked away with only disgust from episode 7.  I'm a huge Star Wars fan (Just got my force fx Darth Vader Lightsaber :woot: ) and I can't stand this movie.  I will watch it again at home and give it one more shot but i don't think my opinion will change. :wallbash:

Thank you! :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid:  :withstupid: