[SPOILERS] - Star Wars VII Thoughts

Black64

It's an enjoyable movie. It was, how one person said it,

"Charming, up until  Han Solo died."

It has many flaws, but they weren't Star Wars flaws. They were general movie and J.J. Abrams flaws. Honestly, if I have to see a new Star Wars movie where they have to blow up yet another type of Death Star, no matter how much bigger it is, then I'm done.

There's literally hundreds of Star Wars books that are out there, none of them canon, anymore, that they could have used or gleamed ideas off of. They took none, and just rehashed The New Hope with a younger cast along with some of the older heroes.

It's just one of those movies where you know they could have made it great, but they made it just good enough where you won't lump it in with the prequels. I can see where people might like it better than Return of the Jedi, but I liked Return of the Jedi better, still.

• Like 1

If you do not dissect it to look for the inconsistencies is it at least enjoyable? Is it a good watch if you just want to get engrossed in it for a couple hours? 

Oh ya!   That is exactly why I think it is a great movie.   Flawless? Of course not but solid.

The thing I liked about the original 3 Star Wars movies were they were more like Sci-Fi Fantasy than Science Fiction (which I love too).   Which means, honestly, what does make sense?   I mean one of the main characters is a walking carpet wearing an ammo strap and screams in-comprehensible obscenities at everyone.   It's the craziness that makes you laugh and fall in love with it.  They swing friggen light swords that any miscalculation means really bad stuff happens and let's face it, no one is perfect even Jedi.

You can pick apart any Star Wars movie into oblivion.   I'd rather sit back and enjoy the movie for what it is.   And this movie doesn't make any glaring faults.   The worst things you can say about this movie is that the formula is too much like the first 3 movies and it left you with more questions than you started with.   First point is whatever.   Sure it's over correcting from the previous trilogy's mistakes but its not as bad as some people make it out to be, especially when you start connecting some of the dots.   Second point though... that I can see people having a valid issue with because some people need closure and it really bugs them when a movie doesn't wrap everything up nice and tidy like.   But that is the nature of this.   They want a continuing story line so they can create a Star Wars Universe (like the Marvell Universe) to create movies off of every year.  Now that they introduced the characters and showed the hardcore Star Wars fans they are going back to the formula that won them over in the first place I expect the following movies to not mimic the previous movies so much.   Obviously it will have to keep the base formula but these characters are a huge departure from the previous casts with different mindsets and motives.   It will be fun watching them grow - both the good guys and the villains.

I would recommend seeing it sooner than later because its a lot harder avoiding spoilers as time goes on, especially if you spend any time on the internet.

edit:

El_Capitan... you should flag your post as a spoiler just in case ccokeman hasn't read the first post.

Edited by Fogel

If you do not dissect it to look for the inconsistencies is it at least enjoyable? Is it a good watch if you just want to get engrossed in it for a couple hours? 

edit:

El_Capitan... you should flag your post as a spoiler just in case ccokeman hasn't read the first post.

Lol, the title of the thread is [spoilerS] - Star Wars VII Thoughts. If he can't read that, then there is no hope.

edit:

Lol, the title of the thread is [spoilerS] - Star Wars VII Thoughts. If he can't read that, then there is no hope.

If there is hope it will be a new hope. lol

You can pick apart any Star Wars movie into oblivion.   I'd rather sit back and enjoy the movie for what it is.   And this movie doesn't make any glaring faults.   The worst things you can say about this movie is that the formula is too much like the first 3 movies and it left you with more questions than you started with.   First point is whatever.   Sure it's over correcting from the previous trilogy's mistakes but its not as bad as some people make it out to be, especially when you start connecting some of the dots.   Second point though... that I can see people having a valid issue with because some people need closure and it really bugs them when a movie doesn't wrap everything up nice and tidy like.   But that is the nature of this.   They want a continuing story line so they can create a Star Wars Universe (like the Marvell Universe) to create movies off of every year.  Now that they introduced the characters and showed the hardcore Star Wars fans they are going back to the formula that won them over in the first place I expect the following movies to not mimic the previous movies so much.   Obviously it will have to keep the base formula but these characters are a huge departure from the previous casts with different mindsets and motives.   It will be fun watching them grow - both the good guys and the villains.

:withstupid: 

Pretty much this. The Force Awakens is a way to introduce Star Wars to a whole new generation of fans while also giving the old fans something to be excited about. Is it similar to Episode IV? Sure. Is that a bad thing? No, especially after the prequels. This pretty much washes the bad taste of the prequels many fans had out of their mouths and returns us to how Star Wars is meant to be. A dirty world that actually looks and feels like the people live there, with people of all different species coexisting together, and most not caring about how the galaxy works so long as it keeps on spinning.

This is the first part of a trilogy and one that we know is going to be a trilogy. If you take off the rose glasses, you can see the exact same faults in the first Star Wars movie that some of you are leveraging against the new one.

Picking apart "A New Hope"? Here goes (from the point of view that the prequels did not exist, yet, nor Empire Strikes Back or anything else):

The Good:

1. Overall, good main characters all around. I liked Luke, Obi-wan Kenobi, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Han Solo, and Princess Leia. Darth Vader was interesting as a villain, but C3PO was kind of a pansy.
  2. It was an enjoyable movie. It had funny moments, sad moments, some good action and landscape visuals.

The Bad:

1. Space is a vacuum, there's no sound in space.
  2. It was a little slowgoing.
  3. The acting was kind of cheesy.
  4. A parsec is a measurement of distance, not time.
  5. They can scan an escape pod for life forms, but they didn't think about doing that with the Millennium Falcon?
  6. Obi-wan Kenobi's death, wtf?
  7. Luke used to bullseye womprats? Why? That's psychopathic.
  8. A fat dude's nickname was Porkins.

The Ugly:

1. Han shot first. He's such a scoundrel!

Is it really so bad to get a Star Wars movie that played it safe in some aspects and combined the best elements of the Original Trilogy into one? This is, again, the first part of a trilogy and a way to introduce people into the new world. We're getting a new director for Episode VIII to help push the story forward and expand on all these aspects left unsaid from TFA. ESB expanded on things from the first movie: we got a better look at the Empire in it, a more thorough view on the Force other than something that "surrounds us and binds us together," and one of the best twists possible.

Black64 I don't think you were paying attention during the movie.  :teehee:

It was clearly stated that Luke was training padowans, who the padowans were, what happened to all of them and how the new bad guys were formed. They also said why Luke left.

Maybe you should go rewatch it. 

It was clearly stated that Luke was training padowans, who the padowans were, what happened to all of them and how the new bad guys were formed. They also said why Luke left.

Yep. And that wasn't Luke's lightsaber that Maz was keeping safe, it was his old one and the same one that Anakin made back in the prequels. Luke constructed a new lightsaber after losing his in Cloud City, which presumably is the one Maz was keeping locked up.

As for Luke's Jedi school, TFA clearly states he was training a bunch of Jedi, including Ben Solo, but Ben was seduced by the Dark Side and Snoke. Ben then turned on Luke's Jedi, slaughtered them in order to finish what Anakin (Vader) had started, got involved with the Knights of Ren, and took up a new name, Kylo, with Ren as the surname. Hence he's known as Kylo Ren, with Ben Solo well and truly dead. Luke saw Ben's fall to the Dark Side as a failure on his part and put himself in exile to, maybe, better reconnect with the Force via his old masters. (Last bit after the exile is pure speculation on my part and something we won't know for sure what Luke was doing until Episode VIII arrives in May, 2017.)

For all we know they could be dead, there is probably a good reason the first order is only looking for Luke, otherwise they might have mentioned they are trying to hunt down the rest of the jedi and Luke or something like that. Add to the fact we never actually saw or heard mention of any jedi other than Luke in the whole movie. It's kind of an unkown factor of EP7, however i would have loved to see a new jedi leading the resistance with Leia.

Yes. It's a fantastic time if you go to just enjoy the movie instead of trying to punch holes in every little detail the movie doesn't tell you happens in the 30 years between Episode VI and VII. If it explained everything, we'd be at a four hour movie instead of a bit over two hours. Right now, it's much more in line with the Original Trilogy than the Prequel Trilogy. More explanations will hopefully follow in Episode VIII, just like how we got more explanations in Empire than we had in the first movie.

Also, background info from The Force Awakens: Visual Dictionary.

Peace Interrupted

After Years of Rebellion, the death of Emperor Palpatine gave the oppressed peoples of the galaxy undeniable evidence that the Empire could be defeated. A longing for freedom and peace drove a great tide of revolution from sector to sector, to the point where a truce - unthinkable at the height of the Galactic Civil War - was signed between the New Republic and the weakenend Empire. As one of its first acts, the restored Senate promptly passed the Military Disarmament Act. Many were convinced that the age of galaxy-wide conflict was over.

The New Republic

Following its great victory against the empire at the Battle of Endor, the Alliance to Restore the Republic rebranded itself as the New Republic, and shortly afterward a peace treaty - the Galactic Concordance - was signed with the remnants of the Empire. Believing that the Empire was no longer a threat, the New Republic turned its attention to reshaping galactic politics.

The First Order

The Galactic Concordance defanged the Empire's ability to wage war, with strict disarmament treaties and punishing reparations. The Old Empire withered away, becoming a remnant of political hardliners locked in a cold war with the New Republic, before eventually breaking away to reform in the Unknown Regions as the myseterious First Order.

The Resistance

The Resistance is a small private force created by Princess Leia Organa to keep watch on the movements of the First Order. Though she petitions the New Republic government for support, she finds the politics of the Senate too slow and too mired in self-interest to be of any help. The New Republic tolerates the Resistance, though it is wary of risking war with the First Order.

I wished they had included this info somewhere in the movie, this actually is very key info that I did not know.

Edited by Black64

The new "empire" seemed exactly the same to old empire, they had a powerful general, a powerful sith and even more powerful sith leading from the shadows. Which IMHO, should have been Darth Sidous or Darth Plageous. Heck, I think Darth Maul should have at least been in this! I mean come on, where did these "new sith come from? And how is the empire so strong again? Really a death star 3? I cringed so hard when they fired that thing, it's already been done twice! TWICE!

Immediately stopped reading after this...

Darth Sidous and Plageous are dead as dead gets. Darth Maul is even more dead.... But regardless of how dead they were, they are 30 years additional dead at this point... How.. HOW? Is this even a justifiable request? I am really glad you weren't in charge of making Ep 7 because I would have walked out of the movie if Darth Maul and Darth Sidous jump out and high five each other and try to take over the galaxy again.

But in all seriousness it wasn't that bad... And the two new evil guys aren't sith. They are just users of the dark side of the force. Neither claimed to be sith lords, and neither go by the standard Sith naming of Darth <Insert scary word in here>.

Also I did keep reading and you are right it follows the same plot points of Ep.4. You know what though, so did Avengers 2 and Avengers... It happens man, it was still a good movie. If you haven't seen it yet everyone who likes Star Wars should go. It wasn't the ground breaking sequel we'd all wanted, but it was still a good movie.