Sign in to follow this  
Guest onions

How to create simple program that executes a line of code in terminal?

Guest onions

I'm kind of a noob at programming and haven't managed to wrap my head around it just yet. When I get a solution, it seems blatantly obvious, but I can't figure it out on my own without help...

I often connect to a VPS that I own through terminal and use it to change my IP to something that isn't France for streaming purposes. I've set up my Mac to use a SOCKS proxy with this VPS. The command I run is as follows:

ssh -D 5555 [email protected]

I am then prompted for my password and enter it.

I am a bit lazy and I'd like to do this in one click, or at least have it set up to where all I need to enter is my password. What would be the most effective way to do this? I would imagine a batch file would work very well in Windows, but I don't know anything about OS X since I've only had my Mac for a month now.

Thanks in advance!

You could always set up a public/private key for your local and remote hosts. This will prevent you from having to type a password. Basic gist of it here. Steps should be similar on a Mac as to Linux I think, but at least you know what you are looking for.

Just put the command in a script.

Literally put that line in there, chmod +x the file, then you can run it. It'll run by default in your current shell and prompt you like normal.

Guest onions

Thanks guys, I ended up figuring it out. Its not a high security thing so I also added a couple lines for it to expect a password and then automatically enter it when prompted.