Looking to upgrade monitor

feetfats

I am currently using 2x acer 23" 1080p monitors. My video card is an ASUS 7970.

I want to make a monitor upgrade to make games look better and I also want to increase the horizontal viewing area so I can see more of the battlefield and see guys coming up from my sides. I would like to go 4k but it seems to me that in order to get a video card with enough horsepower to max out games like BF4 @ 4k it will cost way too much money. So for this reason I am looking at 1440p. I am considering going with an ultrawide monitor and maybe I can keep my 2x 23" monitors and can run eyefinity with them? 

Which monitors should I be looking at? I don't know much about monitors but I think I want 144hz ??? Do I have a strong enough video card to run bf4 1440p ultrawide?

Any input would be appreciated.

to check if your videocard is strong enough, wouldn't you just need to look at the max resolution it supports, obviously right?

That's a little meaningless since most video cards support large resolutions. It's a matter of being able to play a game comfortably at a large resolution with whatever you have in your system. Something like BF4 at a 4K res requires something high powered and more than likely a multi-GPU solution, so you're talking two video cards that cost as much or more than the monitor itself. Two Titan Xs, 980 Tis, Fury Xs, or Furys would handle that.

feetfats, if you want to run BF4 at 1440, you may need a video card upgrade if you want to max it out. Lower settings would be alright, but the 7970 may hit a wall pretty quick at that res. Add in 144Hz or FreeSync or G-Sync (if you switch to NVIDIA), and you're talking even more of a performance hit.

If you want an ultrawide monitor, the LG 25UM57-P is a nice and affordable option that won't set you back much more than $200. Has a 25" screen, 2560x1080 res, and an IPS panel. Jump to the 29UM67-P and you get a 29" screen with the same res, plus AMD FreeSync support. There's also a 34" model in it, the 34UM67-P, with the same resolution and FreeSync support. For larger resolutions, such as 3440x1440, you'll have to go to the LG 34UM95C-P, the Dell UltraSharp U3415W, or the ASUS PG348Q, among others. That last one supports NVIDIA G-Sync instead of AMD FreeSync.

So which is better looking, 1080P on ultra settings or 1440P with low enough settings for high framerates?

The 1080 ultrawide option is looking pretty attractive right now but I hate to make an upgrade when I know I really want something even better.

I don't think your video card isn't good enough for bf4 at 1440p, especially for 144hz.  My 970 gets around 85fps on ultra with no AA (IIRC, it's been a while).  The 21:9 1080p monitor is a little less demanding than 1440p and I really like the idea of the Ultra wide monitors.  I'd go with the 34" for sure though as the others don't seem very tall.  3840x2160 looks amazing but then you'd be back into the double titan territory again.  

I can't really say what looks better between 1080 and 1440 gaming, I haven't seem 1080 in so long I forget.  I wonder how that 34" ultrawide would really compare visually.  It would be nice to get rid of my second monitor and just go with one ultrawide.

If you go with 1440, the qnix is pretty great.  But the Asus swift is like the top of the line 144hz version.  

Edited by RedFury77

I don't think your video card isn't good enough for bf4 at 1440p, especially for 144hz. 

I am not trying to be rude but I truly do not understand your post because you have used a double negative. I am pretty sure that you are saying that my video card is not enough for bf4 at 1440p. Please clarify. 

Edited by feetfats

16:10 master race.... but 2560x1400 would be good too! You could either crossfire a second 7970 in there or go for something with a little more power. My 7970 held up decently with 2560x1600 but not for everything, two would of definitely done the job but I upgraded to a mere 970 and it's been strong enough so far for anything I've played.

I don't think your video card isn't good enough for bf4 at 1440p, especially for 144hz. 

I am not trying to be rude but I truly do not understand your post because you have used a double negative. I am pretty sure that you are saying that my video card is not enough for bf4 at 1440p. Please clarify. 

I don't think your video card is good enough for bf4 at 1440p, especially for 144hz.  fixed.

I am currently using 2x acer 23" 1080p monitors. My video card is an ASUS 7970.

I want to make a monitor upgrade to make games look better and I also want to increase the horizontal viewing area so I can see more of the battlefield and see guys coming up from my sides. I would like to go 4k but it seems to me that in order to get a video card with enough horsepower to max out games like BF4 @ 4k it will cost way too much money. So for this reason I am looking at 1440p. I am considering going with an ultrawide monitor and maybe I can keep my 2x 23" monitors and can run eyefinity with them? 

Which monitors should I be looking at? I don't know much about monitors but I think I want 144hz ??? Do I have a strong enough video card to run bf4 1440p ultrawide?

Any input would be appreciated.

For gaming I would look at a 2560x1080 ultra-wide monitor. Ultrawide has a real impact on the gaming experience. A 29" or 34" ultra-wide would fit your needs nicely and give a good experience with your current card.

144Hz is great if your a twitch gamer. If you play majorly competitive FPS gaming then a 144Hz monitor is a very worthy purchase that can effect the play experience. If you are not a competitive FPS player then the move 144Hz will have minimal impact on the game experience and in my experience is not worth the extra cost.

Specific models to look at:

Samsung S29E790C or for Samsung S34E790C

The 34" model will benefit more from the curve than the 29". Both use VA panels which are close to IPS in image quality but do it without the IPS glow and tend to have better blacks.

Edited by VaporX