Sign in to follow this  
zep_54

Nvidia Driver

I got the new nvidia driver for linux of of their site, and i have no idea how to install it lol.

i read the readme like 10 times and i cant make sense of it, anyone know how to ad if so list steps :)

Or is there a linux prog that runs in in the gui that i can get to do it for me?? B)

im da big bad linux n00b but i figured i should learn... :P:rolleyes:

this will also help me because i have it soon as well, and am also a huge linux n00b.

Guest FxXP

1.Go to the directory where you downloaded the nvidia files.

2. Use tar -zvxf to uncompress the files into a new folder

3. Go into the folder that was just created.

4. Type "make" and watch the files being compiled.

5. Type "make install" and it will install into your kernel.

6. Restart your system, the kernel will find new dependencies and load the drivers.

The sound doesn't work on the A7N8X Deluxe, so I'm not certain if it will for other motherboards.

nVidia driver? And that would be which one?

GFX driver? nForce driver?

i need to learn what FxXP was talking about, the nforce drivers.

im a smart cookie...

i ment nvidia graphics drivers....

hehe i got a older k266 mobo from gigabyte and it works fine with the provided drivers. But my video acceleration is 0 to none with the drivers for the videocard, i cant even run tux racer above 5fps :(

I was hoping these would eliminate the problems:)

Guest FxXP

Now that I wouldn't know, I have only delt with the Radeon drivers for XFree86 4.3.0.

Sly_C, sorry about the instructions, but that is the easiest way I could put it.

Now that I wouldn't know, I have only delt with the Radeon drivers for XFree86 4.3.0.

Sly_C, sorry about the instructions, but that is the easiest way I could put it.

nah its all good. i am asure if i looked i coudl find a tutorial on how to install something with pictures and stuff haha. thats what i need, pictures. but right now it doesn't really matter cause all i am playing with is knoppix which i can't really compile anything to anyway.

and i don't know if i am ever gonna be able to try anything other than knoppix, becaus ei tried knoppix on my main rig which i want to keep windows on. because for some reason my other comp gets stuck on booting from cd.... Think it could be the cd rom? i mean its not a bootable one?