CPU Temp and CM 212 EVO issues

Sxcd1

I'm new to computer building and just built a MSI X99A Krait Edition MB with Intel 5820 I7 ad CM 212 EVO using their thermal paste. I getting temperature of 41c on the cpu at idle and 40 on the motherboard according to the bios.  Are those reasonable temps without overclocking?  I installed the paste onto the CM 212 smoothing it out with a plastic bag from the Fractal R5 case.  Unfortunately I put the heatsink on 90 degrees in the wrong direction so I had to remove it and reorient it.  I didn't remove the the thermal paste just put the heatsink back on.  Lastly I noticed you can still twist the heatsink if you bump into it.  Shouldn't it be tighter on the CPU? I would appreciate any comment/recommendations.  Thanks

I would remove the heat sink and clean off the thermal paste. The way you want to put the paste on is to put a small rice sized dollop in the middle of the CPU integrated heat spreader and allow the pressure from the heatsink mounting process to spread it. 

If you will be overclocking the 5820 you may need a robust heat sink. The 212 gets a lot of good press but it can be easily overwhelmed. 

Your temps are not really too bad but run a stress test with the cores at 100 % and see what they are, the cpu should repasted when it is removed, the bottom of the heatsink should be cleaned with alcohol as well as the cpu to remove the old paste. I just put a pea sized dab of paste in the center but every one has their own opinion on that, I find it don't make much difference. As far as being able to twist the cpu after it is installed it really should not happen, maybe the screws need to be tightened a bit more but once it dose not twist it is tight enough, be careful not to over tighten it as it dose damage the newer cpu's according to what I've read on this site.

Howdy there!

Welcome to the X99 'club'! :D A few questions.

What's your ambient temp?

Did you keep the stock fans that come with the case?

What are you fan profiles like?

40c on your motherboard might be a bit high depending on your ambient temp. But also, the stock fans dont' have such a high RPM, so if you have a silent fan profile, they might not even be kicking up that much air at idle.

If you are going to OC, other than getting a good CPU heatsink, I'd suggest getting some good 140mm fans front and back, with an optional one for your VRM, and perhaps also one at the bottom.