is it time to upgrade to Windows 10

nice_shoes

I'm currently running Windows 7 and am happy with it. However, it would be a big help for the computer to boot up quicker than it does now (takes about 45 seconds).

A little history: it used to take a couple minutes from the time I pushed the power button until the Windows start-up was complete. I replaced the old rotating hard drive with an SSD and that made a very big improvement...........it now takes about 22 seconds for the POST, and an addtional 23 or 24 seconds for Windows 7 to start up.

I've heard that Windows 10 has a fast start up, but I am concerned about the drivers............I've heard that there might be problems with the drivers, especially on older devices, and I would rather not take the chance unless the new start up time is much faster than the 23 - 24 seconds that I currently have.

Also, I hear that Windows 10 does automatic upgrades and I don't like that, but I thought that I read somewhere that you can change the settings so that the upgrades are not automatic.........not sure about that.

So, take the chance on having driver problems and upgrade problems? Naturally, the POST will always take 22 seconds (this is as fast as it will go even after making BIOS changes to speed it up). So, the best I can expect is to reduce the start up from about 45 seconds to sometthing less than that, but will never be faster than 22 seconds.

All advice appreciated.

I've never had an issue with drivers for my stuff. Windows 10 is pretty good even with generic ones.

As for the updates, you can set it so it won't install and reboot your computer on its own. It'll still download stuff and prompt you for a reboot, but that's it.

Windows 10 is getting better by the week it seems. Still a few issues here and there but its a lot better then when it first launched.

You have windows 7 support until 2020 so there is no rush in making the jump.

If you are takiing that long to post and get into Windows now I suspect you won't see much of a change going to 10. Sounds like you might have some hardware issues :(

Is this for the system in your sig?  If so then I would not recommend switching to windows 10.  

Win10 is a pretty big resource hog, currently using 2.2gb of ram on my fresh install as I type this.  Only things open are this web page, outlook'07 (I'm at work), and the task manager.  

Windows defender was constantly running and consuming my cpu until I permanently disabled it.  

A lot of people with older systems are claiming to have a noticeable slow down compared to win7 or 8.  My work pc (old amd athlon 4450e dual core, 4gb ram) seems slower than it was with win7.  My asus transformer t100 tablet with just 2gb of ram seems to run it great though, go figure.

If you want to try it, I would clone the hard drive and then upgrade the clone.  That way you can just pull it and slap back in you win7 hard drive like nothing ever happened.

Is this for the system in your sig?  If so then I would not recommend switching to windows 10.  

Win10 is a pretty big resource hog, currently using 2.2gb of ram on my fresh install as I type this.  Only things open are this web page, outlook'07 (I'm at work), and the task manager.  

Windows defender was constantly running and consuming my cpu until I permanently disabled it.  

A lot of people with older systems are claiming to have a noticeable slow down compared to win7 or 8.  My work pc (old amd athlon 4450e dual core, 4gb ram) seems slower than it was with win7.  My asus transformer t100 tablet with just 2gb of ram seems to run it great though, go figure.

If you want to try it, I would clone the hard drive and then upgrade the clone.  That way you can just pull it and slap back in you win7 hard drive like nothing ever happened.

OOPS.......I need to upgrade the sig.............I have 4GB memory..............do you think that will make a difference?

Is this for the system in your sig? If so then I would not recommend switching to windows 10.

Win10 is a pretty big resource hog, currently using 2.2gb of ram on my fresh install as I type this. Only things open are this web page, outlook'07 (I'm at work), and the task manager.

A lot of people with older systems are claiming to have a noticeable slow down compared to win7 or 8. My work pc (old amd athlon 4450e dual core, 4gb ram) seems slower than it was with win7. My asus transformer t100 tablet with just 2gb of ram seems to run it great though, go figure.

If you want to try it, I would clone the hard drive and then upgrade the clone. That way you can just pull it and slap back in you win7 hard drive like nothing ever happened.

Windows 10 uses less resources than anything since XP.

I've never had an issue with drivers for my stuff. Windows 10 is pretty good even with generic ones.

As for the updates, you can set it so it won't install and reboot your computer on its own. It'll still download stuff and prompt you for a reboot, but that's it.

Really?  I have read some horror stories about Win10 auto-updating everything, including drivers.

I am debating Win10 but I don't like the fact that people are reporting despite setting the OS to not auto-update it still does.   I've heard of people using WSUS servers to control updates.   Found this on a google search...

Preventing a certain Windows Update from installing on Windows 10

Not sure if its still necessary after the TH2 update in November.   Seems like whenever Windows "suggests" a manufacturer update (e.g. GPU driver) it is always several versions behind so I'd rather control my updates.   I shouldn't have read up on it because now I'm disenchanted from the shady stuff I've read (auto-updates, forcing win10 updates on people, sharing your information, etc.) and now I'm probably more paranoid than I should be.

But figure if I open up discussion people on this forum who know more can share what they learned.

My video drivers have never been touched by Windows 10. I have updates set to notify me to restart and never had a problem with that. When it does ask me to restart, I just push off the restart constantly until I finally decide to reboot the system. The only updates I've ever had were for MS products and nothing more.

The updates are not the only factor...........the main reason I am considering Windows 10 is that it may have a faster startup than Windows 7...........although, from what I have observed, Windows 7 appears to take about 20 - 25 seconds (after the POST) and then it isready-to-go.............will Windows 10 give me a faster time?