My first PC build since 10 years ago!

indiana_pilot

I have been in the Corporate IT field for 15 years and haven't gotten around to building a new PC for along time!

I love to fly and wanted a great Flight sim I started using Prepar3D.. Well my old gtx970 and Dell Xeon workstation was ok but not enough to display what I wanted at the frame rate I want..

Here are my goodies that are coming next week.. Some of my choices are from past experience others budgetary.. I'm still well over $2k though (not including the stuff I already had - SSD and monitor) I'm pretty excited! lol

CPU

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake 6th Gen (Unlocked)

4/8 Cores

4GHz

L2 Cache 8MB

CPU COOLER

Corsair H110i GTX 280mm

SYSTEM BOARD

Asus Maximus VIII Hero

RAM (DDR 4) (4 DIMMS)

G. SKILL Trident Z Series DR4 3200 32GB (4x8) 

CASE

Deep Silence 5

POWER SUPPLY

EVGA 1000w plus 80 Gold

STORAGE/DRIVES

Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Asus DVD/RW 24x

GRAPHICS

EVGA GTX 980ti (Classified)

OTHER

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Saitek X52 Pro

Bose Companion 5 Speakers

32"  Samsumg U32D970Q 4K Monitor

I'm running 16gb of ram but it never seems to use more than 8gb at one time. Educate me, is my full 16 gb providing a benefit somehow?

Anything you load from your long term storage (HDD, SSD, etc) will be cached by the OS in RAM for later reading.

For example, I just booted my machine, and of my 32 GB, 12 GB is already used as a read cache for stuff I've loaded from my boot drive. Games don't utilize it directly, but the more RAM you have (within reason) the faster your games will load things after the first time (this is pretty useful for games like GTA V as they stream things in/out of the game allocated memory).