Skylake or...?

Fogel

regardless of the cooler you choose you'll need to do some googling on Skylake CPU bending issues.

Some coolers, even AIO, are send to bend the CPU edges due to the way they are secured. The CPU wafer is thinner than previous generations. A lot of cooler vendors are lessening the tension on the coolers to help combat the issue.

MSI has designed and released a new socket latch that supposedly fixes the issue.

Not sure how a socket latch is going to fix a compression problem on the IHS.  Only way I could see would be a retention system that sits almost flush with the IHS and allows just a small bit of compression before the socket retention plate touches the base of the heat sink.  I have mounted and remounted mine about 10 times now and so far so good. Using a Swiftech block on it. 

Ya I read those articles.   Appears to be blown out of proportion like the whole phone bending thing.

Investigating Reports Of Intel Skylake CPUs Damaged By CPU Coolers (Update 4)

All Corsair coolers are designed strictly to the Intel and AMD specifications for cooler mass and spring force. Furthermore the compact nature of our pumps prevents dynamic forces such as bouncing from damaging the CPU socket. There is no danger to your CPU, Skylake or otherwise, from installing a Corsair liquid cooler to it and our hundreds of thousands of satisfied Hydro series customers since the Skylake launch are testament to that.

We at CRYORIG have the following information and statement to make, regarding the recent news and discussion regarding damaged PCB
Edited by Fogel

I'm completely out of the loop and can't help unfortunately, but welcome back! (I'm l33t p1mp/onion on a new account)

@dr_bowtie

Grats man!   You got the DIYer in you so I know you'll do a good job fixing it up!

@IVITH0S

Right!   Trust me, I did kick myself after.   At the time I bought it I did so because I will still have many things running off my "storage" drive, including Steam so I wanted the speed.   Are the SSDs still at the point where you try to keep half of it empty so performance doesn't degrade or has it matured since then?

@onions

Thanks man! :)  Welcome back to you as well.  Saw your posts in the lounge.   Sorry to hear about your accident but glad you got a good job now and getting things in line.

@ccokeman

LOL - gonna hit you up after the year when I get back from vacation.

@dr_bowtie

Grats man!   You got the DIYer in you so I know you'll do a good job fixing it up!

@IVITH0S

Right!   Trust me, I did kick myself after.   At the time I bought it I did so because I will still have many things running off my "storage" drive, including Steam so I wanted the speed.   Are the SSDs still at the point where you try to keep half of it empty so performance doesn't degrade or has it matured since then?

@onions

Thanks man! :)  Welcome back to you as well.  Saw your posts in the lounge.   Sorry to hear about your accident but glad you got a good job now and getting things in line.

@ccokeman

LOL - gonna hit you up after the year when I get back from vacation.

:bah: on the HDD speed difference :rolleyes:

But as for the SSD speed, I'm not to sure, mine ends up being about half or less used all the time the way I use them. I usually stick to 1-2 games at a time and a whole bunch of other programs on my 240GB drives and have had little problem staying over half empty but I'm sure the drive speeds would be pretty consistent up to maybe 20-30GB left, after that I'd imagine you may be encroaching in the slowdown territory but again I've never gone that far so I can't say.

• 3 weeks later...