Skylake or...?

Fogel

@IVIY

:P 

If you are looking for the Max VIII Hero I have one sitting on my shelf!  

Really?  How much do you want for it?

Are you not using it because you don't like it or because you got something better?

@IVIY

:P

If you are looking for the Max VIII Hero I have one sitting on my shelf!  

Really?  How much do you want for it?

Are you not using it because you don't like it or because you got something better?

Just not using it! 

I'll PM you.

I think Frank has one of everything on the shelf. :lol:

Not quite! 

Holy moley, it is hard finding a 6600k right now ...hell I even looked for a 6700k.  None of those either.   Bout tempted to ask if he has one of those on the shelf too lol.   Sure things will go back to normal after the Christmas rush.   Supposedly Amazon will be back in stock on the 11th.   Newegg sadly gives no estimates.

Then Newegg just got some in stock.   Though 6700k shows out of stock for me (at the time of this post).   I hated living in D.C. but damn was Microcenter the best place for times like this, not to mention Newegg sometimes had same day shipping.   Going to Vegas for Christmas but quick look at Frys.com shows the 6600k only on sale for $10 less but I will check again when I'm there.   Microcenter shows $50 off the 6600k and $30 off the 6700k.

I originally based my processor decision when 6600k was selling for $220, but if it is a price diff of $270 vs $390 than I will be tempted to go 6700k.

We'll see though.   I got patience.  Might just have to wait till after Christmas which I'm ok with since I won't have this built before then anyway.

So I had a Corsair H80 previously and it blew up on me, soaked my motherboard and graphics card.   Luckily the only thing that fried was the H80 (1st gen).   Everything else needed an alcohol bath and was gtg.

I keep reading the Corsairs have high failure rate but most of those reads were in 2013.   What are people's thoughts on it?   If they're pretty solid now I actually don't mind giving them another try but I would really love some advice in this area.   I looked up NH-D14 just out of curiosity and I guess that is no longer being sold.   If I went air, what would be the top 3 coolers to try?   I know about the Evo 212 but want something better this build since that is what I switched to after the H80 tanked.

If I went Corsair, I'm looking at the H100i GTX since I'm planning on going with the Corsair 780T case and it supports a big rad.    But again I defer to people who know the current tech.

So I had a Corsair H80 previously and it blew up on me, soaked my motherboard and graphics card.   Luckily the only thing that fried was the H80 (1st gen).   Everything else needed an alcohol bath and was gtg.

I keep reading the Corsairs have high failure rate but most of those reads were in 2013.   What are people's thoughts on it?   If they're pretty solid now I actually don't mind giving them another try but I would really love some advice in this area.   I looked up NH-D14 just out of curiosity and I guess that is no longer being sold.   If I went air, what would be the top 3 coolers to try?   I know about the Evo 212 but want something better this build since that is what I switched to after the H80 tanked.

If I went Corsair, I'm looking at the H100i GTX since I'm planning on going with the Corsair 780T case and it supports a big rad.    But again I defer to people who know the current tech.

I don't mess with water, air gets you cheaply and reliably to the point of diminishing returns with no fuss or worry. I'd go for an EVO 212 because I still think they are the best cooler for the $, and you can always throw quieter fans on there if the stock ones are too loud and end up having a ridiculous value for a quiet but potent cooler. I'm not gonna change my Zalman until Intel finally changes to a mounting pattern that it cannot adapt to because it's super quiet and cools super well.

Yah as I said I'm not going with the 212/+ for this build.   I want something different.   So still looking for more opinions on high end air coolers VS aio hydro coolers.   For example, what do people think of the reliability of Corsair's current AIO hydro coolers, and what high end air coolers (top 3 maybe) do people consider good competition?

3 more things purchased...

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - $148

WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM - ($120 -$10) ... $110

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) - ($109 -$10) ...$99

The HDD and Memory was a combo deal for $20 less.   Now it shows that same combo $10 less. :cry: I sort of rushed my order because it looked like all hard drive (platter and ssd) was increasing in price as I saw them increasing in prices on other sites.   I didn't take that hint with the CPU so now I'm still waiting on a good price there.   The SSD did go up in price but the standard HDD is holding its price on Newegg at least.

I know faster memory doesn't mean much, if anything, but the combo price put it in line with the other memory sticks and a decent deal on the hdd.   Wanted black, not red, but oh well.    Been debating a red/black Corsair 760T/780T so if I do go that route at least it will match but leaning to the white.