New comp for my 14 year old son

peshewah

My son wants a new computer for Christmas. He is using a i5 2500. I don't recall the graphics card. He and buddys  do a lot of game development.  He is a gamer. He plays Battlefield Hardline, Watch Dog, Rust, Space Engineer and more. Resolutions is 1080 and runs max setting when possible. He is smart kid and I don't want to limit him to what he can learn due to a not so great computer. So here I go.

CPU: i7 5820 or 4790 or ?   I was thinking the 6 core would help him with game development but would it slow him down playing games?

GPU: 970 maybe unless someone has a better idea.

Ram: I would like 32gb if I could.  

Mobo: I have no idea. He doesn't overclock that I know of but I would like for him to be able to  if he wants to. In other words I would like for the option to be there just in case.

Please give me some input Thanks for your time.

The 5820 is on sale now and would make an absolutely killer rig I have seen the chip as low as $319. You could pair it with an ASUS X99A and 32GB of 2666Mhz memory to go with the GTX 970. There is nothing he couldn't do with that rig.

If he is going to be gaming on a surround setup you may have to look at a better card to get decent frame rates without dropping visual quality. That or running a pair of cards. 

I run a 4960X on an X79 board with 32GB of 2133Mhz memory along with  a pair of GTX Titans and can say that there is not much I cannot do. 

A 2500 is still a pretty stout chip. Why not upgrade it by overclocking and adding a few new parts?

More RAM, a new GPU, and an SSD would make it feel new (game development doesn't really require a top-end CPU).

Waco, your right. I'm wanting to build a new rig anyway. I am still having trouble trying to choose a mobo. I'm not really digging the 8 dimm slots. It looks to me that a lot of people are having trouble with X99 boards.

A 2500 is still a pretty stout chip. Why not upgrade it by overclocking and adding a few new parts?

More RAM, a new GPU, and an SSD would make it feel new (game development doesn't really require a top-end CPU).

+1, I'm of course biased also owning a legendary SandyBridge processor too but I really see no issue but potentially graphics card for your son (not knowing what he has). 1080P isn't a hard resolution to satisfy, if I can satisfy 2560x1600 with a 970 and 2600K, he could definitely do so with a 970 and a i5 2500. BTW contrary to my sig, my CPU has been set to stock clocks for a while now and I haven't any issues running anything. If he intends to game on 2-3 monitors than he may need more than one 970, whether it be another thrown in in maybe a 980 or 980Ti

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Well hell. You guys about have me talked into keeping what he has and upgrading it. I think there was an issue with his mobo were it wouldn't let me install 4 sticks of ram. I think its a MSI. I will find out for sure and report back. Right now I am helping my wife dig out the Christmas tree crap

Well, it all depends on how much you want to splurge for your son's upgrade, and the amount of impact it will actually have.

For gaming, 95% of games will utilize all the work on the graphics card, so pick something good for that. If he's staying at 1080P, then a GTX 780 3GB or GTX 970 4G is as high as you need to go. For the 5% of games that also utilize the CPU for physics or what not, then 6 slower cores is still better than 4 faster cores, depending on how the code is optimized for multithreading. Some games it might be the opposite, where 4 faster cores will be better than 6 slower cores. At any rate, a good CPU cooler and a simple 4.4GHz overclock on either solves that problem.

For CPU overclocking, you need the K-series to really overclock, and an overclocking motherboard. Once you pick a CPU, we can help with the motherboard options. However, the K-series CPU's do not support vPro and Trusted Execution Technology. This doesn't mean a whole lot unless security is a big issue (and for his uses, it won't be). The only Intel CPU K-series chip that has ever allowed vPro and Trusted Execution Technology is the Ivy Bridge 3770K (but it didn't allow VT-d). At any rate, I would ignore all this mumbo jumbo, I'm just providing extra information you don't have to look up.

For coding/development, having a lot of memory is very useful. I typically need at least 12GB of memory available when I'm working on something. Sometimes I'm hitting 24GB if I'm also working heavily on Oracle database stuff, but I don't think your son will be at that level for a while now.