OCC dead?

lucio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like that since this thread has started it seems OCC has picked up a bit. I think many of us just got busy with life and forgot to visit.

Life gets in the way. People get older, move onto jobs, start families, and any free time they have isn't always spent posting on a forum. They browse and check stuff out, but may not always post.

Maybe someone who hasn't posted in 2 years (almost exactly ...till I posted in System Builds) can offer a slightly different (but the same :happy: ) view point.

I don't think it's review content this site lacks.   Part of the lull is definitely because well the PC world just isn't all that interesting right now - not much improvement from SandyBridge.   Part of the lull is because not many games truly require insanely awesome PCs to play lush.   You can get really good graphics from both the PS4 and XB1, especially since they are both still quite new.   Not good enough to please a PC gamer but good enough to impress everyone who has no idea what DDR is and that is a LOT of people.   We take it for granted but this is a niche market.   Not many know how to build a computer let alone have the need for a powerful gaming rig/workstation.

Social Networking technology has also terraformed the internet quite a bit as someone else alluded to.   Before forums were the convienent way to find information.   They were also the best way to communicate.   Now you have so many ways to communicate that are more instant and can be continued on a mobile app for people to check anywhere.   While many see Reddit as a curse it still keeps forums relative, especially among gamers.

That said, what the forum needs is more activity from its current user base.   In the two years I have visited a few times with the intent to post but noticed many topics had single digit replies and large gaps between replies.   Hard to keep members when no one is talking.   Hard to acquire new members when they don't think anyone will respond to them.   Gotta have posters to get new posters.   Gotta reply to them to keep them.   I came here looking to see what people think of Skylake because people I know IRL have no clue what a Skylake is.   No one is talking about Skylake in the Processor section.   Seriously?   Why become a member of this forum if no one is even talking about the new technology?   Even if it is incremental gains that kind of talk will let someone who wants to know more the deal.   Want to keep OCC relavant... TALK!   And be supportive of people looking for information.   In the Netflix show, Jessica Jones, there was a line that rung very true... "It's called Google moron, use it!"   Laughed my butt off because people actually talk like that on forums.   If your forum has too many people (like reddit) than sure but most forums in general shouldn't follow that example.   If someone asks what seems like an easy question, humor them ...maybe even add some info so the posts keep flowing.   May also keep people interested so even if they're newbs today they become the experts later.

Also way too much platform bashing.   I know many comments are tongue in cheek (like the picture above) but for those not used to us it doesn't come across that way.  Well the picture should come across as a joke but there have been quite a few serious negative comments about consoles and console gamers over the years.  There are many gamers who play on both PC and Console.   Besides we should be past this by now.   How are platform/console wars still a thing?  It really is childish.   Not to mention many console gamers are having to build decent rigs now so they can stream Twitch to a bigger audience.   Why come here asking for advice if everyone is making fun of consoles?   Streaming is the thing now.   Accept it and help it grow.  Don't scare away the console gamers.   If anything embrace them, you might end up recruiting more to "teh masta race" in the long run.  

Probably not a popular opinion but that's my take and some may take my opinions harsher than I mean them.   But I'm only saying it because I like this place and would like to see it regain traction.   I actually don't have any specific posts or posters in mind.   Just general comments for things I've seen over the years I been here. 

the above post should be posted on frontpage as guidelines for newbs like me ...

I knew nothing about skylake before you (still don't know, just that it's some CPU enhancer)

I think I found a new topic to post :)

EDIT: OCC just approve me already you son of a $$$$

Edited by lucio

So long as this site stands, it will always be a home for me.

I'm not actively OCing these days, but I think this site is still a valuable place to learn about the ins and outs of PC architecture, system modification, and just enjoying the company of others who appreciate pushing hardware to the limit.

Till next time, DTTL :)