G3258, BIOS not matching HWmonitor/CPU-Z V Core [bad chip?]

RazerZ

Just bought a new G3258 and am trying to overclock it. The problem is that when I set the Vcore in the BIOS the number on HWmonitor and CPU-Z is different.

Leaving everything at stock the Vcore fluctuates around .864V. I know it's supposed to be 1-1.1V so I found this odd. The number stays the same even during stress tests.

image.png

I went it to the BIOS and manually set the Vcore to 1.3V with a 4Ghz oc (still testing stability). Now it's fluctuating around .960V (yes even during stress tests).

Also note that I needed 1.3V just to get to 4.1Ghz, and that was unstable. 

---

Any ideas? I was using windows 10 then went back to 7. Same issue. Motherboard is an AsRock Z97 Extreme 3 on the latest BIOS.CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15. PSU is a XFX PRO 550W.

Edited by RazerZ

The voltage will always fluctuate anytime that speedstep or the power options in the OS are set underneath Max performance. Even when the Vcore is set manually. If you want it to fluctuate less under load then use less load line calibration or V droop. 

BTW: Check your power supply with a multi meter or DVOM. your 12volt is very low. I believe specifications at + or - 0.40 volts dc or tighter. If under load your PSU is giving less then 11.80 volts. I would consider replacing it.