Yet Another Noobie With a G3258

skyler544

Hello OverClockersClub! This is both my introduction to the forum and a question about over clocking!

Last Christmas I ended up with $200 to spend on myself, and so I bought a Pentium G3258 and an ASRock H97m Pro4 Micro-ATX motherboard. My other components are a 550W PSU, 5400 western digital 500gb SATA HDD (yes I know that's awful but I haven't had the chance to upgrade it yet, it's next on the list), an EVGA GTX 570HD, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz, and a couple of cd drives and the peripherals etc. 

This is clearly not a premium build and it wasn't even a high quality build last christmas, plus the GPU and HDD are aging poorly. However, I won't be able to rebuild until the end of next summer if even then, and I would like to breathe a little more life into the system.

Following this guide, I started stability testing on my rig. The core temps shot up past 70 with prime 95 in less than 10 minutes, so I ordered a Noctua NH-U12s CPU cooler and some Arctic Silver 5. I guess that since I'll almost certainly be coming back to post more questions later as I fail terribly to overclock my chip, my question for now is whether or not buying that new cooler is enough to keep my system safe for overclocking? If not, what more should I do before diving into my BIOS settings?

First Welcome to OCC.

What case are your parts in? Is airflow optimized to get in as much air as is being removed by managing the fans.  What cooler are you currently using? What voltage are you running on the CPU?   

H my question for now is whether or not buying that new cooler is enough to keep my system safe for overclocking? If not, what more should I do before diving into my BIOS settings?

+1 what ccoke said. also at some point it doesn't matter how good a cpu cooler you have. the temps will just be "high" depending on the voltage. I used the Noctua becuase I had it laying around and as you can see from the results. Once I pushed the chip to the its limits, it didn't matter what I had cooling it. it was just going to be hot.

But before ordering anything I suggest giving us a rundown of what your settings are now and go from there.

First of all, thank you both for your replies. HornyBlueCow; thank you for the overclocking guide in the first place.

Second of all, new members to the site can only post once per day until they've posted 10 times; that means that while unable to reply to either of your comments yesterday, I wasn't idle during that time and have now successfully overclocked the G3258 with a 4.0GHz clock at 1.150 volts. Furthermore, that was enough to get Fallout 4 running beautifully. 

Temps are still high, and idles are unreasonably so. For that reason and because I'd rather have it than not, I did go ahead and get the Noctua NH-U12S. Thinking carefully about airflow as CCokeman said, I also realized that my case has pretty bad flow; hot air will be trapped between the PSU and the top of the case, and with the Noctua in there the CPU will be getting cooled by air that has already flowed past the graphics card. Having realized this, I'm also planning on a getting a new case as well. I was thinking about choosing the NZXT S340 due to the large top fan and nice design. 

Since I can't reply to this post until tomorrow, don't expect an answer from me until then if you have any further questions. Thanks again for the assistance!

Skyler544