Almost Free -- my gawd

BluePanda

Sadly a guy in my town sells ALL THIS for $150...

Shit. I kid you not. 

This is what a $150.00 total computer rebuild will buy you. *

1) Save all your data off the hard drive (unlimited).

2) Brand new install of your Windows or MAC operating system.

a. Install ALL the operating system updates. ALL of them.

b. Update to Windows 10 for additional $15.00 

i. Windows 10 will be fully patched, of course

ii. This also assumes your computer hardware is

compatible with W10

3) Install all the computer manufacture

A friend of mine works at a computer store here on Nantucket. For those unaware, its an island so the number of places where people can go for help with their PC or Apple devices is limited to that place. So, yeah, some people come and ask for all those things listed in the OP and, since they charge by the hour, he has no choice but charge people out like $50 an hour if he has to re-install windows and some of the software. His favorite type of customers are those "i already know whats wrong with my computer i just need you to fix it and i'll stand here and argue with you for an hour instead of letting you do your job in 5 minutes" people. He actually charges them for the time he spent arguing with them. LOL

But yeah, speaking of computer illiteracy, i do repair my friends computers from time to time and when they call me to tell about the problem with their Facebook isn't loading and i ask them which browser they use and hear "Umm, i think it was Windows 7 but now its 9 or 10 because it upgraded" i want to pull my hair out. I mean - seriously. 21 century, duuuh.

I am way cheaper than the guy in OP though. I charge in beer! 

Edited by That_Guy

I work for two pawn shops wiping & reloading laptops so they can resale clean unit,.. going rate is $50.00 hour plus parts if I replace any broken/missing items on laptop,.. and upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7,8,8.1 is flat rate of $150.00.

I do several a month,.. and sometimes barter my labor for interesting pawned items from shop, been doing it for years.  ;)

People without the skills to complete the task or those that are to lazy will always have money to pay someone else to do the work. 

I have the skills to change the oil in my car but am content to let someone else get dirty for 50 bucks when I feel I do not want to do it.

Honestly, guys, I do not see the $150 charge as too high. Installing new OS, MS Office, and other licensed software takes time. Installing the freebies also takes time. I am an experience PC installer/trouble shooter, and, although retired, still upgrade and fix friends computers. I charge $60/hr - minimum - friends or not. Sometimes it takes 5-6 hrs to do evcerything. Especially if there is a hardware problem. In some cases I cut them some slack but have charged upwards of $400 for a problem install.

Also, I would really rather build a system from scratch - new parts - than upgrade an older system. Much less time consuming.

As for trouble shooting - I recently had to clean up a registry after a guy let some asian outfit have access to his system to 'clean it up'. They fixed the registry so that when his computer came up he had to put in a password just to get Windows to start. They wanted $500 to remove the malware. Talk about crap. I charged him $300 to fix the problem only becauyse I had to pull his hard drive and install it as a slave in a computer I keep around just to handle problems like that. Seems that greedy and unscrupulous people abound.

Edited by AkakmanH

They do seem to be everywhere. Unfortunately family gets the low cost freebies. But on the flip side they never ask for support once its built. I can count on 2 fingers how many calls I have gotten from the last 10 family builds.  

I also don't think $150 charge is too much for what he is willing to do, just to do windows updates on some systems can take hours, plus he updates all the drivers and any software that is on the system. For a non tech savvy person (which is 90% of the people I know) it's a fair price.