New FX 8320 build with bad temp reporting "low temps"

LauraLaw

I am building a computer for a friend and having some concerns about temps being reported. I currently have 2 FX series that I  run personally and have a fair idea of the temps the 8320 should be near. Here is the build info and the temps being reported

Fx 8320

Gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud5 R5

Evo 212 With an extra fan

Not sure if the rest of the hardware is important but here are the temps being reported

HWMonitor temps

Under heavy load 25c max

The temps have been that way since the system first started running with windows, The temps have been checked with amd overdrive, hwmonitor and gigabyte monitor "gigabyte does not even work" I Wanted to boost the cpu a little before I sent it "nothing major 3.5 ghz or so" That is all it will run at though, any higher in the bios and it refuses to boot.

Bad board? Bad cpu?

Edited by LauraLaw

How do you figure 25c is high, the max high temp for that cpu is 62c, I'd say your doing great !

As far as it not booting at a higher oc that could be the memory setting or any other setting in the bios that has to be adjusted, or you just might have a not so great  below average cpu and that is just the luck of the draw !

ps-looks like the op changed the title of this post (first he had high temp not low ) makes my answer look dumb ,hate it when that happens, at least mention the post was changed !

Edited by SpikeSoprano

I am building a computer for a friend and having some concerns about temps being reported. I currently have 2 FX series that I  run personally and have a fair idea of the temps the 8320 should be near. Here is the build info and the temps being reported

Fx 8320

Gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud5 R5

Evo 212 With an extra fan

Not sure if the rest of the hardware is important but here are the temps being reported

HWMonitor temps

Under heavy load 25c max

The temps have been that way since the system first started running with windows, The temps have been checked with amd overdrive, hwmonitor and gigabyte monitor "gigabyte does not even work" I Wanted to boost the cpu a little before I sent it "nothing major 3.5 ghz or so" That is all it will run at though, any higher in the bios and it refuses to boot.

Bad board? Bad cpu?

Your temps are fine, that's actually pretty low.

Make sure to check your voltages and maybe what people are using around your target OC. Try to match their values. I never OC'd an AMD CPU so I personally don't know how the voltages should be.

If you can't OC with those temps it might be the chip(luck of the bin...  :( ).

Edited by MedievalNerd

The true problem is that most of the temperature reporting tool do not accurately reflect the true temperatures of the Chip. Even AMD's own tools don't work very well. I have to put my AMD FX chips under a load and watch the CPU throttle and match up the reported temperature to the throttle point. 

AMD chips report notoriously low on occasion. I've personally seen load temps below ambient reported by 83xx and 63xx series chips from time to time.

Generally, though, if it's stable I wouldn't worry about it. What settings were you using when you had trouble at 3.5 GHz? That's the stock speed of the CPU, with a 4 GHz turbo clock.

How do you figure 25c is high, the max high temp for that cpu is 62c, I'd say your doing great !

As far as it not booting at a higher oc that could be the memory setting or any other setting in the bios that has to be adjusted, or you just might have a not so great  below average cpu and that is just the luck of the draw !

ps-looks like the op changed the title of this post (first he had high temp not low ) makes my answer look dumb ,hate it when that happens, at least mention the post was changed !

the original post we not edited after your posting hehe :) believe you just misread it originally "I checked our time stamps :)" 

The chip/motherboard seemed to run fine when left at stock, I did lock it in at 3.5 and run a 24 hour stress test without any issues. I am just going to assume that the board or what not is reporting very low temps. Just a strange issue as I have two other AMD FX chips, the 8350 idles hotter than that 8320 did under full load after 4 hours and showed about 10c cooler than my other 8320. Performance was near identical though on the two 8320's