Sign in to follow this  
GrandpaGamez

Need advice

My current PC..yes I know its rather close to being a paper weight!

Antec 900 Case

AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.3 GHz

Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Gigabyte 790X DS4

8GB (4X2gb) PC 2 8500

SSD 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

4GB EVGA GTX 770 Classified

Main Monitor Samsung 27" SyncMaster S27B350 2ms

Secondary Monitor LG 24" IPS 24MP56 5ms

Soundblaster PCIe X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Logitech K120 Keyboard

Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Corsair TX 750

Astro A40 Headsets

Steinberg UR22 USB Audio Interface

AKG P120 Microphone

I use my PC to render "how to" videos for my small service business, and stream WoW  and play  DayZ and various RPGs and Shooters most of all looking forward to Fallout 4 and Sword Coast Legends.

Budget Would like to keep it under 8-$900 but may splurge and extra 2-400.

* At some point I plan on running 2 Video cards in SLI but never more then 2. and would like to have a board that I would eventually be able to take advantage of  M.2.

My initial line of thought was I would like to go with a Gen 6 Processor and start with a lower end chip so I may upgrade later and my wife can use my hand-me downs. (She plays WOW with me)

I would love to have a shiny new Gigabyte Z170X G1 but if I can use the extra cash to squeeze more performance out of a M.2 upgrade why not go with a board like Z170X-Gaming 7?

What I am looking at for my very first Intel upgrade

$390 i7 5820K

$100 CPU cooler thinking about Corsair Hydro Series H100i May just use a stock cooler until I decide if i want to spend the cash for a real Water cooling loop(pending more research)

$220 Motherboard looking at Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7

$150 Corsair Dominator Platnum 16 GB kit Memory Kit Model CMD16GX4M2A2666C15 (2X8gb)Memory or would it be better to get (4x4GB) kit?

This should do me for what I need right? open to suggestions to save a bit of money and get this upgrade below 800 or reasons why I should spend a bit more if the performance per$ is there.

And by the way i was a folding contributor for a while and for some reason i could not reset my password... sent an Email but have not received any help yet

Formerly known as Renigade Email is Seminole_SR at Comcast dot Net

Edit because I can not Reply

REPLAY to: El_Capitan

1920X1080 48FPS with scaled Resolution of 1096X616

Not going to overclock my self but may have someone else help me with it eventually.

Guess i overlooked the Motherboard compatibility . As i said this will be my first Intel Build

Edited by GrandpaGamez
  • Like 1

You're looking for a gaming + streaming and video editing system.

You're kind of on the right track. First, a hexacore CPU will help immensely with video editing, encoding, and streaming, but the 5820K will need an X99 motherboard. The Z170X-Gaming 7 won't be compatible.

Second, what resolution and FPS will you be streaming at?

Third, take m.2 out of the equation. It is totally not needed for anything for your build.

Fourth, I am assuming you game at 1080P at 60Hz refresh rate your monitor supports. No need for anything higher than a HD 290 or GTX 780. The higher up you go, it really won't help except for playing at the highest settings for newer games and more memory bandwidth for graphics mods if needed.

Finally, are you going to overclock your CPU?

Ok got my account back.

Thanks for the Reply El_Capitan

You're looking for a gaming + streaming and video editing system.

You're kind of on the right track. First, a hexacore CPU will help immensely with video editing, encoding, and streaming, but the 5820K will need an X99 motherboard. The Z170X-Gaming 7 won't be compatible.

Second, what resolution and FPS will you be streaming at?

Third, take m.2 out of the equation. It is totally not needed for anything for your build.

Fourth, I am assuming you game at 1080P at 60Hz refresh rate your monitor supports. No need for anything higher than a HD 290 or GTX 780. The higher up you go, it really won't help except for playing at the highest settings for newer games and more memory bandwidth for graphics mods if needed.

Finally, are you going to overclock your CPU?

1920X1080 48FPS with scaled Resolution of 1096X616

Not going to overclock my self but may have someone else help me with it eventually.

Guess i overlooked the Motherboard compatibility . As i said this will be my first Intel Build