I think the ethernet port is dying

Scott P

The past two days, I am experiencing DNS issues with my main computer. I've uninstalled the network driver and rebooted. Once the driver reinstalled, it would work for a while. Now, I have nothing. Windows Troubleshooter says to reboot the modem and router. I've already done that. Plus, the internet works just fine on the other computer in the house. I can access my router and see other computers on the network. I just do not have internet access.

Any thoughts? It's the Win 7 machine in my signature. I could use an excuse to build a newer and cooler running machine, but I'd rather not drop that coin right now. A field trip to Fry's would be fun with the almost 22 month old twins. Every kid should get a Fry's trip.

get a spare hard drive and do a clean install of windows and see if it works.

if you can transfer files over the ethernet port, I don't think it is broken.

a new PCIE ethernet card is only 15$

you do not need a new computer 

did you also try changing to the google public DNS?

also make sure you upgrade your router firmware 

you might want to reset all settings 

Edited by potatochobit

I think I nailed it down to my Linksys e4200 router. It does have the newest firmware installed and has been power cycled a few times). I have my computer connected directly to the modem and it is working. The iPad and Win 10 desktop work fine, but my Galaxy S6 and Win 7 desktop had issues. I have made no changes to any of the non-functioning devices before the problems hit. 

I still will get a trip to Frys tomorrow. I just need to figure out which router to get.