Mini itx power draw reduction

Wolfrider

Well hello everyone, its been a while since last time I was actively keeping up with technology.

Back then I build a rig in a obsidian 650d, which is enormous, and now that  I have moved to a student home,

is taking way to much space.

Thats why I am planning to build a mini ITX build, in a cooltek cube or maybe a bitfenix

protegy. So far I'm aiming for a haswell build (i5 4440) with a gtx 970 mini as a graphics card.

criteria include system power draw, noise levels and price/performance ratio. Electricity is rather expensive here, so

I'd like to be able to use the system for work with minimum power draw, If I connect my display to the cpus inbuild graphic unit,

does the gtx 970 completely shut down? Im am planning to use a be quiet 500 watt psu, will it be enough? Also with pascal coming out next year

with allegedly 10 times the performance, would It be better to wait until then and use my gtx 760? I'll have buy a bigger case then though. 

i hope I can get more insight in this area, it changes so fast that I don't know what road to take anymore (with a new cpu/gpu gen coming out each year)

Also I have a sandy bridge 2600k, is it worth it to upgrade to haswell or skylake, or should I just buy a mini itx mobo and use that?

Edited by Wolfrider