Residual DVD Drive Issues- from trying Windows 10

TheyCallMeGunny

I upgraded to Windows 10, and had a terrible time. No need to go into it. But my DVD drive stopped working when I upgraded.
I've since done a CLEAN install going back to Windows 7. And no matter what I do, my DVD drive still doesn't work.
The exact issue: It is detected, it has generic drivers (the exact drivers no longer exist online, the link never begins download from MFR site.) But it does not read ANY disc, doesn't even recognize when it's populated. It opens and closes via OS prompts but as far as it's concerned, I don't own a single disc.
I've done everything device manager allows. I've tried getting drivers, but this was a carry over from an old Dell Inspiron 530s, and Dell's link to download the drivers doesn't work- download never even starts (have tried multiple browsers.)

Here's the thing. I thought it COULD be just a dirty lens. But I NEVER opened the DVD drive. I've had the same DVD in it forever, and it only stopped working when I installed Windows 10. I attempted a clean regardless, to no avail. I have tried 4 discs, because I only even have 4 discs.

Device name (according to device manager): HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH30N ATA Device. It's Samsung. If it will help, I can open the case up and find the serial or whatnot.

Might be, but I'm really hating on Windows 10 after all it put me through.

Wait, uploading a photo of another issue that would help indicate W10 could be the issue.
Okay, attached image. W10 also melted my flash drive.. I have a drive plugged in right now, and it's not metling.. So yeah, W10 had a major fit for me. I actually haven't heard of anyone else getting as much flak from it as I did. The rant would take several days to complete, so I won't.

But THIS is why I had to install 7 from a Hard Drive, because when I plugged in my flash drive, it said device malfunctioned in about 2 seconds.. And a minute later, I noticed it had melted. I had put the W7 USB installer on it before upgrading, so I know it worked prior to W10.
As you can see, my Z drive is now STAYING as an installer because I have to plan for if I need to reinstall and can't use the DVD.

post-82264-0-74379700-1440464712_thumb.jpg

post-82264-0-23683500-1440465090_thumb.png

Edited by TheyCallMeGunny

...I can't tell if you're serious or joking.

Sadly, serious. I have no idea how the hell a driver issue (or whatever happened) could melt a flash drive. I have never even HEARD of it. And I melted 2 in a row (thought it might be my front panel port, so tried the back, melted that one too.) But it hasn't happened before or since, so the only common factor of both occurrences was I had Windows 10 installed. (And both drives are of identical type, except for the capacity of the drives.)

post-82264-0-45687800-1440500897_thumb.jpg

Edit: Down the rabbit hole;

And as far as this particular comment goes, it contains nothing but factual observation. Possibility of coincidence? Sure. But I've had this build for over 5 years (except the GPU, it's only 3 years old) and never once have I melted something. Then I melted 2 USB drives in the 3 days I had windows 10. I have some videos recorded with my cell phone of how ridiculously crazy my desktop would act up with Windows 10- like how using the "reset this pc" option was literally impossible, because when it asked me to "select keyboard layout" (the first step), both my mouse and keyboard were disabled. Meaning I could not proceed. I even tried my mic on the hunch they might've made it voice activated (you never know what they'll do to cater...)

In short, it caused issues I didn't think were possible. Am I skeptical it was W10's fault? Yes. But available facts strongly support that being the case.

This time, I took the photo with my monitor in the background so you can tell it's actually my photo. That's the second drive that melted. So I guess there are two common factors: Windows 10 and they're both the same type of drive. Could be the drive, but I don't have enough evidence yet to test. Although I did plug the second one into a family member's Macbook before plugging it into mine (testing that it wasn't just a faulty drive AT the store because of the incident with the first one.) It worked fine there. I have other types of drives in my PC right now, but I don't have a third of that type to test. They're like $8, so I might have to try it just to be certain.

I got a little off topic (told myself I wouldn't start the W10 rant lol.)

Anybody have any ideas for the DVD drive? I've saved up half what I need for a 4790k and a Z79 Z97 mobo. I'd rather not have to buy a new DVD burner, too, if anyone knows a fix to this or something I haven't tried.

The OS does not control voltage to your motherboard pin-outs,.. the most common ways folks melt a flash drive are using the 1394 port, faulty Usb header,.. a short circuit can have disastrous consequences with I/O devices.

Edited by Braegnok

The OS does not control voltage to your motherboard pin-outs,.. the most common ways folks melt a flash drive are using the 1394 port, faulty header or header plugged in backwards.

Yeah I thought it was a faulty header. But so far nothing else has melted, and my iPhone (hate iPhone, but it was free lol) is plugged into my rear port now. Same one the second drive melted on. Like I said, makes no sense to me either..

Edit: I can say that it's not plugged in backwards. I'd have to drill a hole in the MB side header to even get it in backwards.