Windows 7 VS 8 VS 8.1 VS 10

Black64

Once they have the kinks worked out, Windows 10 will be a great OS for gaming and general application activity. For productivity and power users, I think people will stick with Windows 7. Hell, only one of my computers is Windows 10.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once they have the kinks worked out, Windows 10 will be a great OS for gaming and general application activity. For productivity and power users, I think people will stick with Windows 7. Hell, only one of my computers is Windows 10.

I see zero reason for anyone to stay on Windows 7.

Lol, I'll give you a list sometime.

Go ahead.  I don't see why anyone would stay with 7 over 10.  The annoying things can be turned off and you're left with a better version of 7.

Go ahead.  I don't see why anyone would stay with 7 over 10.  The annoying things can be turned off and you're left with a better version of 7.

I try every OS, even different Linux distro's. I already turned off a couple of annoying "features", but still want more time exploring before considering moving all my computer's to Windows 10. I just wanted to compile a list of Pro's and Con's before doing so, that way I could make up my mind and see if it's worth it, even if it is free.

it's not that win10 isn't stable, it is, but the nagging repetetive issue is that the damn thing is geared toward the sales, commercialization and the microsponge store...

over and over i get reminded that microsponge office 365 is available, or that there are several ways i can "get microsoft office",...

add to that the constant reminders that one note, and microsoft cloud, and store, and groove, all their other microsponge crap is in there throughout the os, end up being one giant commercialized PITA,...uh, imho...in my humble opinion you can have all the exteraneous commercial caca and leave me a functional, easily customizable, os that lets me do what i want to do without having the microsponge big brother beathing down my neck and watching every move i make,...like cortana does...

ok rant finished

thank you

cj

CJ - Not sure how much time you've spent exploring the various options in W10 yet, but you can disable Notifications for many of the "nags" that you mentioned above.  Additionally you can disable and even remove some of the more obtrusive "features" in W10.  

I cheated a lot after my install, just like I did on XP, Vista, W7 as I come across things that bug the heck out of me I engage my buddy Google to find out if anyone else has the same heartburn and if there is a fix readily available.  If so I fix it, if not I keep digging on my own till I figure it out.

I figure that every OS I settle in on, will require a little (or a lot) of tweaking and tinkering before I'm completely satisfied.  I really haven't found W10 to be any different.  Good luck!

The are only a couple of reasons I haven't gone W10 on my primary rig; the amount of setup time that particular rig will take, and I'm going to ditch my SSD RAID0 array and go with a single larger SSD drive.  I've got hundreds of apps and need to make sure that all of them will work with the new OS before I take the plunge, and of course I need to buy a new 500Gb or 1Tb SSD  :) 

^ I do quite a bit of tweaking as well. I haven't finalized my thoughts on Windows 10, yet, I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I really want Windows 10 to be great. I mean, it's a free upgrade within the first year. Who wouldn't want Windows 10 to be great, unless you're Apple?

Never had any problems with w7 for games, very little with 8.1, I think w10 needs another 3 to 6 months to get the bugs out of it, as usual Microsoft is using consumers as beta testers .

+1 but it seems like 10 is/will be great for sure.

I haven't found a single game that doesn't work on Windows 10 that also works on Windows 7.

My friend had trouble getting Stronghold Crusader 2 to run but maybe he figured it out. The error that came up was related to not having the newest .NET framework sometimes but that was beyond the required version because Win10 and all but there were other possible causes that I'm not sure if he looked into or not. I'll upgrade from 8.1 to 10 once I finish the current game I'm playing. I like the new Start Menu a little but I still think I'll install Classic Shell since the power control still isn't as intuitive as the Win7 style one. "Over Over 'Letter Key'" works like a charm when one has their screen off :)

Hey Ivy.  Give the new Start menu a chance before you hop over to Classic Shell.  IMHO the new Start menu in W10 is pretty darned good.

Left mouse click brings up all your APPS on the left and whatever tiles you want on the right (easy to customize the tiles to your liking, re-sizing, moving, adding, deleting and turning live tiles on or off)

Right mouse click brings up a ton of useful system related apps and tools that power users would probably use quite often.