More memory, slower system

I have recently added another 16GB to RAM to my system for a total of 32GB. The system seems a bit slower now. Is this typical since the DIMM slots are fully populated? and making the memory controller work more? I always read that for optimal performance, get the most amount of memory while using the least amount of modules. 2 for dual channel, 3 for tri, 4 for quad, etc. The memory timings are set by XMP, and not seemed to have changed (going from 2 to 4 modules). I know more memory does not make your computer faster. How do I try to get it close to how it was before? I don't think it is my imagination, thanks!

Did you add the same model number modules? X79 can be finicky sometimes. Did you update the BIOS? The RIVBE I have was finicky with modules until the BIOS update from earlier this year. Running 32GB with a 4960X. 

Both your X79 and Z97 run @ 12.8GB/s max bandwidth per channel,.. so your going to notice a slight bandwidth hit on the Z97 running 16GB per channel at 2400Mhz.

Edited by Braegnok

Both your X79 and Z97 run @ 12.8GB/s max bandwidth per channel,.. so your going to notice a slight bandwidth hit on the Z97 running 16GB per channel.

Quantity doesn't drop bandwidth...

Did you add the same model number modules? X79 can be finicky sometimes. Did you update the BIOS? The RIVBE I have was finicky with modules until the BIOS update from earlier this year. Running 32GB with a 4960X. 

All the same modules, it is for the Z97 with 4790K.

I always thought it was a bandwidth issue on my Z97 rig only having two channels with 12.8GB/s bandwidth per channel,.. I could run @ 2666Mhz 4X4GB with 8GB per channel,.. my system was fast/snappy and smooth doing normal everyday tasks,.. but if I ran 4X8GB with 16GB per channel,.. my system seemed noticeably sluggish doing same normal everyday tasks,..  :dunno:

Edited by Braegnok

I agree it's strange,.. the memory subsystem see's one load per memory chip,.. so four modules installed that's 64 electrical loads on the bus,.. Z97 memory controler is default 1333/1600Mhz with 32GB max dependent on memory type.

He is running 32GB @ 2400Mhz in XMP mode,.. so perhaps the system is automatically adjusting for the higher load by either increasing the voltage a small amount; reducing the clock frequency of the memory or adding a cycle to the SPD's latency setting,.. thus slightly slowing it down,.. to keep the memory subsystem reliable.

Looking at EVGA support for Z97 FTW memory compatibility,.. 8GB modules listed I do not see any 2400Mhz 8GB modules listed in full-slots,.. only slots 2+4. http://www.evga.com/support/motherboard/

Edited by Braegnok