New Laptop advice

Black64

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, an Alienware 18 is actually cheaper then the 17. However the 17R2 has a better CPU and single GPU, but the 18 has better SLI performance. I think I am still set on a alienware 17R2 with a 980m, seems like the best cost/performance ratio.

Well a quick update, I purchased a Alienware 18 R2 with a i7-4940MX and SLI GTX880m's! For under $1600! (I know, sounds fishy, but eBay is definitely a buyers market, so I never worry.)

I would stay away from Laptop configs. You would never get what you pay for.

However, with my experience i could play skyrim at high on my old M11x Alienware.. So that being said, and your looking for few years old games so any better config should play them.

I have personally worked with HP where refurbished parts where under our jurisdiction and all i can say... get ready for phone calls, tech support and what not.

Not that HP is bad in anyway, just that 3rd party or partner take on this refurbishing (not overseas). So i guess you get the point.

Did see your update later, i am damn sure this laptop can handle the game list you got there. Good Luck!

Better luck with the next go.  I know there are tons of people that just don't see the benefit of gaming laptops, but once you've had one if you travel or spend time away from home but still want the performance you just can't beat it.  I got laughed at when I pulled out my "bulky" laptop at a friend's house but considering it outperforms his 4670K and R9 270 and fits neatly in my backpack he shut up.   

If you only look at the systems from a value perspective you just have to remember there's a value in mobility that's not even close to the same from person to person.

Whatever you get I would be sure to try and grab something that support MXM if possible in case you want a GPU upgrade down the road.  And if you do any extending gaming sessions the bulky systems are far better than ones like the Razer Blade when it comes to fan noise and cooling potential.   Personally Sager's got my business at this point with the ease of access internally and 3rd party support, but nothing about my times with MSI/ASUS in the past rule that out as options, I just don't like them as much.