Confusion With TT9

agent

I'm not sure if you did what you were supposed to do with that "very flat probe". You said that you put it between your cpu and heatsink?! ("This probe is very flat, so that you can place it between your CPU and your Volcano 9 heatsink"). Isn't it supposed to go "under the cpu"?

-agent

v9f2a.jpg

(^ yes.... under.....heh)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can put it were u wish actually..

if you put it on top... were the die is you should get a more accurate reading. (from what I understand anyways)

Just because the die of the processer is the main thing your trying to keep cool.

also when you put it on the bottom.. you have the PINS to get around.. you dont want to bend these pins at all for fear the processer wont work..

and they cant touch also from what I understand..

So it is just easier to keep the probe on the die..

anyone correct me if im wrong.. or off a bit..

very good question though!

hope it helps a bit.

I would think putting it between the die and the HSF could be very vety bad... Don't care how thin it is, it wont allow your CPU and HSF to get the best possible connection....

If it were me, I'd probably put it beside the die, in the space bewteen the HSF and top of the chip caseing....

There are a few ways to do this. The way I usually do it, is tape it beside the CPU core. Like d3 said, if you place it right on top of the core it could actually screw up your cooling and make the heatsink not come in contact with the core as much, or at all.

I would never place it under the bottom of the CPU because of the pins.

with my comp nurse on the front of my case...

the temp probe..

I have artic silver on the bottom of the probe.. and on the top.. (thin coats..)

and right now its running at 34.3 celc..

---

Now that you say this.. next time I have the mobo out I will place it on the side of the die to see if the temp goes down a bit more..

Hmmmmmmm, I read someplace that if you placed the vtp under the processor it regesters as 8 degrees hotter. I'm not sure how they got this number, or even where I saw it, maybe I should go check the thermaltake website again!

I was wondering when I read that article (your guy's) what would happen if you tried to add some artic silver onto the dye and then added the vtp--It sounds like it would be as efficient, but then again I haven't tried.

-agent