Why Do People Think The Mac Os Is Better

Just tell them to go crawl in a hole and hug their favorite iMac. Cause no one really cares if one is better than the other, just which one they like. This is a loose loose conversation because they both have their benefits and downfalls.

In some ways it is. It is much more effecient that windows, and thus makes better use of the hardware. (That is probably also partly due to the lack of variation in mac hardware. Windows has to account for all types of hardware) It is written for a "closed system" kind of machine, so it can be much more "personalized," so to speak, for the system.

On the other hand, it does not have native support for a lot of things that windows does (going back to the closed system idea). Also, it does not give the user much control over how the computer functions, which I hate.

It's all about preference, I guess. If all you want is easy maintence and stability, then mac os is perfectly fine. But if you want to tweak, overclock, play anything other than .mov files, or just plain CONTROL your computer, then windows is the best.

It's like asking if a Ferrari is better than a Honda. If you don't know how to drive a stick-shift, then the Honda is better in your eyes...see the comparison?

In some ways it is. It is much more effecient that windows, and thus makes better use of the hardware. (That is probably also partly due to the lack of variation in mac hardware. Windows has to account for all types of hardware) It is written for a "closed system" kind of machine, so it can be much more "personalized," so to speak, for the system.

On the other hand, it does not have native support for a lot of things that windows does (going back to the closed system idea). Also, it does not give the user much control over how the computer functions, which I hate.

It's all about preference, I guess. If all you want is easy maintence and stability, then mac os is perfectly fine. But if you want to tweak, overclock, play anything other than .mov files, or just plain CONTROL your computer, then windows is the best.

It's like asking if a Ferrari is better than a Honda. If you don't know how to drive a stick-shift, then the Honda is better in your eyes...see the comparison?

Ya, I agree. so like red said the smack talk is moot. It depends on what you do and what you like. My personal experience with newer macs, g3 & up has been positive. lets not discuss old ones. Besides this was @ school, which is a whole sub topic in itself.

There's plenty of variation in Mac hardware. There's just a lot less because the companies don't make a lot for us. Still, we've got plenty of good stuff (not sure if there's a 9800 Pro, but I believe there's a 9700 Pro for Mac). We already have PCI-X on the G5 (something I've only seen on PC servers) Anyway, you can play any video file from Windows on a Mac (or at least I haven't seen one I can't play). As for the price, we all know a prebuilt is more expensive than one you make yourself. A $3000 G5 still outperforms a $3000 Dell

Invader, why did you use the pronoun "we?" <_<

Anyway, the hardware variation I was referring to was for the more basic system components (the ones that the os actually has a direct impact on). There is only 1 processor (well, one family at least), surely not very many motherboards, and stuff like that. A $3000 G5 may outperform a dell, but come one now, how hard is THAT to do? Also, who cares how fast it is when you don't have any software support. What are mac people going to do with all that power...run quake III really really fast, or watch their iMovies really really fast? Performance is only as good as what you can do with it.

Yeah, the major problem I see with Macs is that software is quite limited.  Isn't there a windows emulator for Macs available though?

I believe there is... but having to translate Windows -> Mac-OS(whatever) would steal some of that new found GRUNT... why bother at all, unless your happy doing basic 'personal computing' you need a PC (so much more to offer ;))

Side note:...

If MACs are so wonderful, how come most MAC users own @ least one PC? <_<

the windows emulator is a joke. a dual g4 1ghz (like the one I have sitting in a box in the basement) struggles to run windows (imagine running windows AND another ram hungry OS at the same time).

hardware wise they're nice, cuz it's all designed to work together, and no changes are really made by model (same mobo for every g5 at what ever speed, same drives, same ram, same video PERIOD). sure you can change some things in a mac, but not like a pc.

then again it goes back to my old saying about the mac:

Imac? no umac, I won't

MACINTOSH: Most Aplications Crash, If Not The Operating System Hangs

they have handles for 3 reasons, carried in for repairs, thrown in a dumpster, or as a boat anchor

sure it's cute, but cute never equals practical

macs are for people with more dollars than sense

and the all time classic: ICKY

I own a mac, and I HATE it more than you could ever imagine.

I own a mac, and I HATE it more than you could ever imagine.

well i dont like macs, but ill take it if dont want it! how much do u think shipping would be?

i used to have a mac, it was my first computer. Mac Performa 400 w/ 25mhz cpu and 12mb ram. the thing NEVER crashed, NEVER had any trouble at all, and from what i here, they still are like that.. i could also NEVER say that for any windows machine. if i could run all my windows apps on a mac and be able to pay as much for it as i do a regular PC, i would own a mac.

there's no psu, fans, ram, drives, or video card in it. it's pretty much a mobo, case and cpus. I'm debating slapping in a matx mobo in the case at some point though.