Why Do People Think The Mac Os Is Better

there's no psu, fans, ram, drives, or video card in it. it's pretty much a mobo, case and cpus. I'm debating slapping in a matx mobo in the case at some point though.

Lol, I saw some site where a guy took a G4 tower, tore it apart, and modded pc components to fit into the case. He painted the grey part blood red, and the apple logo black. He then called it the "rotten apple." :lol: I thought it was great.

i can't believe no one has mentioned that os x is based on darwin unix. all you have to do is install the apple developers kit, which is free, and you can compile any linux or unix software you want, sometimes you have to install software dependencies like gtk or glibc. i originally bought my mac because i have companies i do work for that have departments that use mac for photoshop and advertising, and of course they want them to work with their windows domain, and i've been very happy with os x, but yellow dog linux does run a lot better than the mac os. you have to give apple credit for having the intelligence to add the open source core to their os. this makes them work in a network environment a lot better than the previous versions of the os. and remember for the people that say they are to expensive, these people already have shown they'll pay more for computers, which can equal $$$ in your pocket if you're doing consulting if you know how to use and integrate them. just knowing windows as a consultant doesn't pay in the long run

i can't believe no one has mentioned that os x is based on darwin unix. all you have to do is install the apple developers kit, which is free, and you can compile any linux or unix software you want, sometimes you have to install software dependencies like gtk or glibc. i originally bought my mac because i have companies i do work for that have departments that use mac for photoshop and advertising, and of course they want them to work with their windows domain, and i've been very happy with os x, but yellow dog linux does run a lot better than the mac os. you have to give apple credit for having the intelligence to add the open source core to their os. this makes them work in a network environment a lot better than the previous versions of the os. and remember for the people that say they are to expensive, these people already have shown they'll pay more for computers, which can equal $$$ in your pocket if you're doing consulting if you know how to use and integrate them. just knowing windows as a consultant doesn't pay in the long run

:withstupid: somewhat.. i dont like mac computers. But ther OS is ok. It is based on unix so you cant say it sucks, because unix is prob the best OS out there. "IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT :P" but overall.. windows is more functuinal for me.. i like having control over my computer, not the OS having control over it B)

:withstupid: somewhat.. i dont like mac computers. But ther OS is ok. It is based on unix so you cant say it sucks, because unix is prob the best OS out there. "IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT :P" but overall.. windows is more functuinal for me.. i like having control over my computer, not the OS having control over it B)

what works best for you is what its about for a home user, and people like us, but if you want to work in computers, at least network administration, its good to know how to use mac os, unix, linux, novel, not just windows. i use windows 90% of the time for gaming, but linux really is the best, gives you more control, no spyware/adware or viruses

uh, novell isn't really an OS in the traditional sense. there are no real apps for it because all it does is run servers... there are NO novell workstations, unlike unix, linux, windows, mac.

btw for those mac heads out there. I WILL NOT EVER AGAIN INSTALL RAM IN AN LCD IMAC... EVER!!!!!!! SIMPLE MY BUTT

I haven't posted in a couple days and I come back and see this... I too was suprised it wasn't the first thing they said.

Replying to Why Do People Think The Mac Os Is Better

It's about the OS not the system itself... twohig5, I couldn't have said it better myself. But never actually using it, only reading about it, I am inmpressed they have open source code and compilers built for free with the DK... All the free software that is now usable on it is awesome, save you a lot more then any windows software... There is a lot to be said about a move like Apple going the unix route, very smart of them....

What I want to know is why people say Macs have no software options. We (there it is again) have the major ones. Everything Adobe makes is for both Mac and Windows. Many new games are made for both (ex: UT 2004) and we've got most of the other stuff. Actually, can someone give me a short list of what we don't have? (And when I say we, I mean Mac users... duh)

Battlefield 1942, COd and almost every other game.

Also the little things that make PC computing good, MBM, cpuZ, pcmark,

and all of windoze goodness like the system tools.

Just having the fact that with a MAC i cant just go to anywebsite and dl crap.

I wanna see you try and dl "junk" from IRC to use on your computer, lol

I still like macs for video editing and ., and Linux Distros for the solidness for serving and ., and tux racer :)

But windows is still more universal

:withstupid: Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'm not arrogant enough to go around proclaiming that Windows is the best os...It's probably not. But it is the universal os. In an interconnected world that relies heavily of the sharing/transfer of files and data, it is simply the best to ensure that most people are on level turf. Another os may be better, but as far as I (the user) am concerned, it is nothing more than an inconvience because of the incompatibilities. Like they say, when in rome do as the romans do.

yet another point. it's called INDUSTRY STANDARD.

though I must admit linux IS making strides to compete

Yeah, I must give props to linux. I'm going to start running some distro of linux whenever I get around to downloading the .iso image files. I want to try out Desktop lx like you recommend, red, but I can't find it anywhere. Is that a distro that I have to buy? Or is there a download version?