Sudden Increase Of Heat...

anthony

ok heres the problem.. im overclocked at 3.6. normally my temps never pass 42.. but today. when i was playing ut2004.. my motherobard monitor allarm sounded.. its set to 50.. i exited ut2004.. my temps were at 52!! im like WTFF

so first thing i do is check if a fan i sdead or something.. they are all running fine.. so then i check my cpu heat siink.. its fine... i havent screwd anything over in my case... air flow is ok i guess....

but how did the sudden increase of temperature occur? right now .. i un- clocked.. back to 3ghz.. because 52 is kinda scarry....

any help would be nice ...

thank you1

edit.. also i hit 36 when playing mine sweeper flags on msn?!! what the heck?1 thats like my temp on halo after 1hr normally....

Edited by roadkills_13th

What cooler? What thermal compound? I'd be freaked if I went from those temps to 50+, but you're not in danger zone till 60C. And P4's throttle down at dangerous temps.

More info needed tho. Can only speculate.

Did you pop up task manager to see if another programme is looping infinately eating cycles? Although high end games etc use alot of cpu and gfx, there's nothing like a misbehaving app to really bog down your cpu.

EDIT: could be just a spike in your readings too tho. MBM and the quipment it relies on aint perfect. With my IC7, I've had false fan-stop alarms... when running HW doc and MBM at same time....

Edited by JackRussell

What kinda motherboard do you run? I have that problem with spikes up to, if not greater than, 90C. I know that this is just a math error somewhere in the BIOS, but I havent been able to narrow it down -specifically-. A quick reboot and a check on the health status in the BIOS always shows the correct temps...

Keep in mind that MS has a tendancy to be a resource hog, so that could explain the temps there...

well im using stock cooling.. umm... crappy thermal compound... um was only playing UT..

all the normal stuff... but i was amazed because... normaly i do not go over 42.. doin gall the normal stuff that i do... so ... im thinking somehting went wrong

What kinda motherboard do you run?  I have that problem with spikes up to, if not greater than, 90C.  I know that this is just a math error somewhere in the BIOS,

read my EDIT . If it's wrong math, it's due to how mobo posts stats and how MBM interprets them... have link to that from author... will look for it.

Can't post more than twice: Um... well OC'ing as you are isn't wise on stock hsf. Those aluminum alloy jobby's are compromises at best for minimum weight and maximum space between cooling fins (dust strapping). Thermal compound compromise for ease of install and no break-in period.

At 3+ Ghz, you definately need good cooling. Heard nothing but praise bout SLK 900's. I use Zalman 7000A-Cu... very effective. I'd say your thermal comp degraded due to the sustained above-spec temps. It's done transmitting heat... game over. My last stock P4 themal comp was wax based.

Arctic Silver 5 is excellent thermal paste.

Edited by JackRussell

my bios reported almost the same....

edit.. it seems tat my fan is runing slower.....

hmm.. maybe q-fan is enabled? gona check bios again

ahh so it is! .. how did it go on? .. hmm

well now my temps are back normall.. oging 33cpu.. 31 mobo... to to re overclock it!

Edited by roadkills_13th

It is not MBM... it will report the same temps in MBM, SiSandra and Abit EQ. I have tried to work this one out, but to no avail. Heck, I got so frustrated one time it did it, i just started went to max-load just to try and fry the chip.. it survived with no flames or chaos. :D

What about the ambient temperature in the room. I have trouble with my OC when its summer time. right now, i never go over 32C running my 2500 barton at over 3200 barton speeds. but in summer, i tone it down to the 3200 speeds for temp issues. glad you fixed it though.

69 ...

the problem was that q-fan was enabled.. slowing down my cpu fan.. which meant less heat was being moved.... i fiexted that.. back to normal. problem solved. ty for replies

It is not MBM... it will report the same temps in MBM, SiSandra and Abit EQ.  I have tried to work this one out, but to no avail.

These links take you to a few MBM author's posts about why MBM values can be off. Will not account for big spikes, but useful anyway if values seem to fluctuate a bit much. Good for someone to know so they don't over-react to more minor flucts in values reported by MBM.

Links now fixed: (2nd link most informative)

if way off

is a bit off

I miss one

Sorry: Links were messed-up. Will look for them. Anyway related to volts, but still about spikes/valleys in values reported.

But I've noticed HW Doc utility from Abit CD does wierd things. I tend to get spikes when running it... stopped using it from start. It's even stopped cpu fan from going to full when it's needed to. Maybe I need BIOS update or something... but MBM is way better anyway.

Edited by JackRussell